[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] Corrected November, 2020, Secretary's Report Pasted in and Attached

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Tue Dec 15 03:43:39 UTC 2020

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION SECRETARY'S REPORT

Monday, November 9, 2020

The NFBN SENIOR Division met via Zoom on Monday, November 9, 2020.
Members of the SAGE Chapter from New Mexico were our special guests.
President Robert Newman called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM CST.

Cheryl Livingston recited our NFB pledge. Brad Loos pledged to say it
next month.

Carlos Servan was our guest speaker. He came to America in 1989, and
soon joined the NFB. He lived in New Mexico where he received
blindness training at the center in Alamogordo. He learned how the
NFB philosephy affected not only his life but that of others,
including a Veteran from World War II. He became a transition
coordinator and would always think about if his mother or sister were
to become blind, what kind of services he would want for them. He was
always studying to improve his English and writing Braille and typing
with one hand, and didn't want to socialize. Friends talked him into
spending time with them so that he could practice speaking English,
and one suggested that they take Physics and Astronomy together,
which they did. He shared some history about services for the blind
in New Mexico and Nebraska, concentrating on services for Seniors in
Nebraska after the Commission was started in 2000. He answered a
couple questions. His book will be out in English by the end of December.

Members present were: President Robert Newman, Vice President Barbara
Loos, Secretary Linda Mentink, Treasurer Cheryl Livingston, Board
Member Nancy Oltman, Bob Burns, Gina Finnell, Geralyn Konruff, Brad
Loos, Steve Senteney, Carlos Servan, and Jerry Whitlow. Guests
present were: Dorothy Babel, Melvin Forster and Bill Hankins from
Nebraska, Martin Gallegos, Christine Hall, Urja Lansing, Natalie
Martin, Diana Marquez, Pat Munson, Arthur Schreiber, Veronica Smith,
and Priscilla Stansbury from New Mexico, and Brian Quintana and Mary
Willows from California.

Veronica usually has an ice breaker at their meetings. Since November
is the month of pie, she would have asked what everyone's favorite
kind of pie was. We all mentioned ours.

Linda read the October Secretary's Report. It will be made a part of
the permanent record of the organization.

Cheryl read the November Treasurer's Report as folows:

Treasurer's Report Senior Division

Monday, November 9, 2020

Beginning Balance $969.83

Expenses

PAC for November $15.00

Ck #1240 was voided

Ck #1241

To Cheryl for gift cards $50.00

Deposits

None

Ending Balance $904.83

Note: We have received dues from the following:

Jerilyn Whitlow, Bob Riley, Nancy Oltman and Geralyn Konruff. 3 were
by check and one through Paypal. The checks will be deposited and
reported next month.

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

It will be made a part of the permanent financial record of the organization.

Barbara asked about the process of paying dues by Paypal. Robert will ask Mike.

Members shared their thoughts about our recent state convention via
Zoom. New Mexico's was in August. Veronica shared that their meetings
are not as structured. SAGE is an acronym for Senior Action Group Energy.

Robert will see if Eric Buckwalter can come on our December call for
a few minutes to talk about the video; then he said he would table
it. Members and guests will share how we're going to celebrate
Christmas in this time of COVID.

Members shared brags and drags.

Pat asked if we still have a newsletter. Barbara said that sadly, we do not.

There was no further business, so we adjourned at 8:50 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary