[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] March Meeting Secretary's Report, Pasted in and Attached

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Mon Apr 12 20:13:52 UTC 2021

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION SECRETARY'S REPORT

Monday, March 8, 2021

The NFBN Senior Division met via Zoom on Monday,
March 8, 2021. President Robert Newman called the
meeting to order at 7:01 PM CST. Members present
were: President Robert Newman, Vice President
Barbara Loos, Secretary Linda Mentink, Treasurer
Cheryl Livingston, Board Member Nancy Oltman,
Chris Boone, Bob Burns, Gina Finnell, Geralyn
Konruff, Brad Loos, Steve Senteney, and Jerry
Whitlow. Guests present were: Dorothy Babel and
Melvin Forster from Nebraska, Jennifer Lyman from
Illinois and Patricia Maddix from Washington.

Robert recited our NFB Pledge. Bob will recite it next month.

Jennifer Lyman, a Non-24 Nurse Educator in the
midwest working for Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Inc.,
talked to us about Non-24 Sleep Wake Disorder.
Vanda Pharmaceuticals is a bio Pharmaceutical
company that focuses on education and research in
the area of Non-24. She explained the science
behind Non-24 and how it differs from other
common sleep disorders. It is a rare circadian
rhythm disorder, and is a chronic condition. It
can cause sleep disturbances which can cause
significant health issues. The symptoms are:
difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying
asleep and exessive sleepiness during the day.
There tends to be a cyclical pattern to these
sleep struggles. A person can have one or more of
these struggles, and they can range from mild to
severe. They can appear at any time. It can
effect up to 70% of those who are blind, but one
does not have to be blind to have it. Our
circadian rhythm is controled by the master body
clock in the brain, it needs to be in sync with
the daytime nighttime cycles of the environment
and the master body clock gets its signal to
reset by light cues from our environment. Anyone
who thinks they have Non-24 may contact Jennifer
at 202-875-4714. She answered questions we had.

Linda read the February 2021 Secretary's Report.
At Robert's suggestion, Linda will not read the
Treasurer's Report, but will paste it at the
bottom of her report from now on. There is no
need to read it. The Secretary's Report will be
made a part of the permanent record of the organization.

Cheryl read the March 2021 Treasurer's Report.
Barbara asked for clarification about dues paid
through PayPal. Cheryl explained that the total
amount that is paid by PayPal will go toward the
total that will be paid to the state, and,
depending on how it works out, either the state
will reimburse the division, or the division will
reimburse the state to make it come out right. It
will be reflected in Cheryl's report. There were
no further questions, so the report will be made
a part of the financial record of the organization.

Robert asked Chris if there was anything new on
what was accomplished at the Washington Seminar.
She said that, when we met with Congressman
Fortenberry, he and his legislative aid got
really excited about the Medical Device Nonvisual
Access Act. Congressman Fortenberry is the
ranking member on the agriculture subcommittee of
the House Committee on Appropriations. This
committee is responsible for the FDA, which would
be responsible for making regulations requiring
companies who make home medical devices to make
them accessible. The Congressman wondered why
they couldn't tie it to their appropriation. John
Paré filled out the Appropriations Request form,
which had to be filled out twice. Congressman
Fortenberry's office has been notified. They are
strategizing on how to get a bill introduced into
the Committee on Energy and Commerce. This
committee's chairperson said that no piece of
legislation brought by a Republican will even be considered.

Robert mentioned that one other good thing came
out of our contact with Congressman Fortenberry.
His Norfolk office manager Lee has a
sister-in-law who went blind about six months
ago. Congressman Fortenberry knows the Bureshes.
Amy contacted Laura and told her about the
Federation and the Senior Division. Robert
contacted her, and she wants to join us in our meetings.

We shared brags and drags.

Steve mentioned that he'd like to know how blind
people stay safe in their homes. His home was
burglarized Saturday night, so he's getting
security cameras put in. That will be our topic next month.

There was no further business, so we adjourned at 9:05 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary

Treasurer's Report Senior Division

Monday, March 8, 2021

Beginning Balance $954.83

Expenses

PAC for March $15.00

Deposits

None

Ending Balance $939.83

Jolene Boshart paid dues by check. The deposit will be reported next month.

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer