[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] January Secretary's Report Attached and Pasted In

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Mon Feb 8 04:15:46 UTC 2021

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION
SECRETARY'S' REPORT

Monday, January 11, 2021

The NFBN Senior Division met via Zoom on Monday, January 11,
2021.  President Robert Newman called the meeting to order at 7:13 PM
CST.  Members present were: President Robert Newman, Vice President
Barbara Loos, Secretary Linda Mentink, Treasurer Cheryl Livingston,
Board Member Nancy Oltman, Chris Boone, Jo Boshart, Gina Finnell,
Brad Loos, Steve Senteney, and Jerry Whitlow.  Guests present were:
Dorothy Babel, Melvin Forster, Patricia Maddix from Washington, and Shane Lowe.

Jo recited our NFB Pledge.  Linda will recite it next month.

Shane Lowe, our guest speaker, talked to us about Supersense.  The
company, Mediate, was started because the cofounders decided that
their skill set would best fit the blindness community.  They
developed Supersense based on feedback from blind people.  The app is
on both the IOS and the Android platforms.  It gives you the
opportunity to scan anything more efficeniently and effectively than
you could before.  It's a simple interface, and is designed to be
really easy to use so that anyone can just pick it up and get
going.  It costs money because they need to fund research.  He
explained its many features and answered many questions.  He also
talked some about the new Super Lidar navigation app, which was just
apporoved by Apple and will be coming out later this week.  Lidar and
Super Lidar work on theApple 12 Pro and 12 pro Max.  His email
address is: shane at mediateddtech.  His telephone number is: 502-435-2671.

Linda read the December 2020 Secretary's Report.  It will be made a
part of the permanent record of the organization.

Cheryl read the January 2021 Treasurer's Report.  After discussion,
it was decided that Cheryl should amend the report to reflect
membership dues paid as of tonight, and send it to Robert and
Linda.  The amended report follows:

Treasurer's Report Senior Division

Monday January 11, 2021

Beginning Balance $949.83

Expenses

PAC for January $15.00

Deposits

Dues $10.00

Donation $25.00

Ending Balance $969.83

Note: Dues were paid by Barbara and Brad Loos and Robert Newman
through Paypal.

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

It will be made a part of the permanent financial record of the organization.

FOLLOW-UP ON GINA'S DUES.  We will take her at her word that she paid
for two years in 2019.

Robert reported that that he got a text from Walt Hively a couple
weeks ago.  He has been trying to get on the call for the last couple
months, and wondered what happened to the number.  Robert sent the
Zoom information to his email address, texted him and called and left
a message, but did not hear back.  It's great that he's still out
there and wondering what's happening.

GOALS.  Robert said we need to find some more blind folks.  He has a
list of people that he's been talking to off and on, but he thinks
they need to hear additional voices.  Most of us said we'd be willing
to make calls.  Chris suggested that we go on Radio Talking Book
Services.  This led to a discussion of how to meet and find out about
other blind people where we live.  Related to this, next month we
will focus on alternative techniques and invite others to come on the call.

Barbara mentioned that we need to raise funds.

We shared brags and drags.

Linda asked if Robert had called Eric about the video.  He told her
to put in the minutes that he needs to follow through and call Eric.

There was no further business, so we adjourned at 8:47 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary