[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] Corrected April Secretary's Report Pasted in and Attached

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Tue May 11 02:37:23 UTC 2021

Hi All,

I was confused about whether or not Betsy Stumpf was on the call
because Barbara was trying to invite her, People were talking and,
when I read to you all who was on, no one said that Betsy wasn't on.
I guess she wasn't, so I have removed her name. Here's the corrected report.

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION SECRETARY'S REPORT

Monday, April 12, 2021

The NFBN Senior Division met via Zoom on Monday, April 12, 2021.
President Robert Newman called the meeting to order at 7:50 PM CDT.
Members present were: President Robert Newman, Vice President Barbara
Loos, Secretary Linda Mentink, Treasurer Cheryl Livingston, Board
Member Nancy Oltman, Chris Boone, Jo Boshart, Bob Burns, Gina
Finnell, Brad Loos, Steve Senteney, and Jerry Whitlow. Guests present
were: Dorothy Babel and Melvin Forster.

Bob recited our NFB Pledge. Chris will recite it next month.

Because of the difficulty we had with Zoom, making our meeting start
so late, we will postpone our discussion on how we stay safe in our
homes and elsewhere until May. Our meetings with the Zoom meeting ID
are set up for the next 20 months. Chris offered to check the link
before our meetings.

Linda read the March 2021 Secretary's Report. Two slight corrections
were made. Robert suggested that, unless some action needs to be
taken, Linda should just write down the contact information
(including the organization's web site) for our guest speakers,
rather than summarizing their presentation. The report will be made a
part of the permanent record of the organization.

Cheryl read the April 2021 Treasurer's Report. It will be made a part
of the financial record of the organization.

Chris reported that tomorrow from 9:00 to 10:00 there will be a
hearing on technology access for technology that is purchased by the
state. She gave the background leading up to the need for this
hearing and explained the latest policy which has been developed.
Those who will be participating in the hearing worked out some of the
logistics.

Barbara asked Chris about S-1, the For the People Act. It has been
introduced. It's about voting rights, but does not address anything
complying with the Help America Vote Act or in any way making voting
either in person or remotely accessible for people who are blind. We
are supposed to write or call our two Senators and urge them to
support the two amendments contained in a letter that President
Riccobono has written to the Chairpersons of the Senate Committee on
Rules. The two amendments would (1) increase the number of accessible
ballot-marking devices from one to two in each polling place and ask
voters without disabilities to use these devices so that we're not
the only ones using those machines; and (2) vote by mail would have
to be made accessible.

Robert mentioned that he and others are testing the new book reader
from NLS. Maybe the testers can give us a demonstration over the phone.

Jolene is getting a new eyeglass device through the I Can Connect
program for the deaf-blind that will help her go on the internet. She
had left the meeting, so could not explain further.

We shared brags and drags.

There was no further business, so we adjourned at 9:25 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary

Treasurer's Report Senior Division

Monday, April 12, 2021

Beginning Balance $939.83

Expenses

PAC for April $15.00

Ck 1242 to NFBN $40.00

Dues

Ck 1243 to NFBN $5.00

Dues

Note: This is the amount owed to the affiliate from dues collected by
check from 9 members.

Total expenses $60.00

Deposits $45.00

Dues

The deposit represents $25 owed by the affiliate for the 5 members
who paid via Paypal plus the dues from Jolene and Carlos.

Ending Balance $924.83

Jolene Boshart and Carlos Servan paid dues by check. These deposits
have been made.

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer