[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] Presidents Scoop - Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla!

Jamie K. Richey jamie.richey16 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 20:57:35 UTC 2022

Greetings Fellow Federationists!

This update is overdue, and I apologize for that.  Several of us brought
back a not so friendly travel companion from convention which slowed us down
for a few weeks.  Then my body decided it wanted to throw a kink into the
mix which made for another couple interesting weeks.  Things are now getting
back on track and here is a wealth of information I need to share!

One of the things I neglected to do after convention is send out the

NETV Fireworks Interview
<https://foxnebraska.com/newsletter-daily/blind-people-share-how-they-can-en
joy-the-fireworks-as-much-as-anyone-else>

Which aired on Sunday, July 3rd.  Jeff Altman spoke on behalf of the
Commission for the Blind and I represented the affiliate.  They were
interested to know if blind people enjoyed fireworks and what family and
friends could do to make it more enjoyable.  They also interviewed a veteran
and got his perspective.  The transcript gives a little more information
than the story itself.  Enjoy and look for more interviews with NETV in
October with Blind Equality Achievement Month!

I hope each of you have had a chance to take the

#NFB22 Survey <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z3236GT>

Even if you didn't attend in-person your feedback is still important.

The

2022 Resolutions
<https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/resolutions/2022-resolutions

Have also been posted online and provide a framework for the things the
Federation will be working on in the upcoming year.

It was announced that the 2023 NFB National Convention will be held July 1
to July 6, 2023, in Houston Texas!  Put this date on your calendar and start
planning for it now!

I encourage you to read the last issue of

Imagineering Our Future
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/imagineering-our-future/Au
gust-2022>

For updates from our national office.

Tune in monthly to the

Presidential Release
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases>

To get updates and have questions answered by President Riccobono directly.
The next release will be held on

September 1, 2022, at 8:00 p.m. Eastern.

Speaking of Presidential Releases; check out the following opportunity!

Host the October Presidential Release LIVE:

President Riccobono is taking his monthly message on the road. By chapter,
affiliate, or even region, submit a brief proposal to have the October
Presidential Release broadcasted live in your area. We will come to you!
Submit your pitch:

In addition to letting us know why it would be important to your chapter or
group for us to come to you, please be sure to include the following
logistical details.

.     Who - Who will be organizing the release? Will it be your chapter,
affiliate, group of chapters or affiliate divisions?

.     Where - Would the release be hosted at a community center, restaurant,
gym, or at a different sort of location?

.     What - What are some unique stories or reasons that set your group
apart from the rest?

Remember that this opportunity is available to all chapters and affiliates
no matter the size of the group or where you're located. Send in your
pitches to

membership at nfb.org <mailto:membership at nfb.org>

no later than Sunday, August 28. We will announce the site on the September
release.

On Saturday, August 13th we held a NFB of Nebraska board meeting in Kearney.
Thank you to those who attended, and I hope more will attend in the future!
Updates were given from various committees and reports on projects were
provided.

The 2023 NFB of Nebraska State Convention to be held March 23-26, 2023, in
Lincoln is the main focus for this fall.  It is also time to start planning
for the 2023 NFB Washington Seminar and local legislative issues. The Next
board meeting will be held October 22, 2022, in Omaha.

We are still in need of members to serv on the following committees:

*	Chapter Building
*	Education
*	Legislation

A more detailed email with information on each of these committees will be
release soon.

We are also looking for someone to fill the following positions:

*	NFB-NewslineR Outreach Coordinator
*	NFB-BellR Academy Coordinator

Again, more information on each of these positions will be coming soon.

An email was just sent regarding the vacant seat on the Board of
Commissioners for the Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually
Impaired.  Interested persons need to

Apply Here <https://governor.nebraska.gov/board-comm-req>

As well as send me an email with their interest.  This is the NFB designee
seat on the board.

Remember history. Advance equality. Celebrate accomplishments.

In a few short weeks we will be enjoying all the smells, tastes, and
activities of fall!  This also means we need to start planning for Blind
Equality Achievement Month (BEAM).

Formerly known as Meet the Blind Month, we celebrate the organized blind
movement during October, and we want to conduct a variety of outreach
activities in our local communities.  This year

White Cane Awareness Day
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-equality-achievement-month/white-ca
ne-awareness-day>

Falls on a Saturday and is a perfect day to get out there and show our
communities that blind people can, and will, live the lives we want!

If your chapter or division is planning an event, please let me know so we
can post it on our website and social media pages.

Here are a couple of messages that just came in from the national office:

Please note that nfb.org and subdomains of nfb.org will be undergoing a
scheduled maintenance and upgrade to Drupal 9 Saturday, August 20, and
Saturday, August 27. If there is content you need for a weekend chapter
meeting, it may be helpful to download prior to Saturday. Thank you for your
understanding.

Prospective Member Open House:

The National Federation of the Blind invites blind people to an open house
for prospective members on

August 31 from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom.

Please recommend this opportunity to those who have questions about who we
are, our philosophy, and how to join. Please email

membership at nfb.org <mailto:membership at nfb.org>

to sign up.

The following came from the Chapter Presidents list, and I thought I would
share it here.

good leaders-ones who learn to lead up, across, and down-find a way to
succeed with people who are hard to work with.

Why do they do it? Because it helps the organization.

How do they do it? They work at finding common ground and connect with them.
And instead of putting these difficult people in their place, they try to
put themselves in their place.

We've all had to collaborate with difficult people, but just remember they
are people too and sometimes we need to take a step back and find out what
they are going through.

One of my favorite quotes is:

"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

With that I encourage you to reach out at any time, even if it's just to
chat.  I am here and I care!  Enjoy the rest of the summer and good luck to
those heading back to school or starting new adventures!

Sincerely,

Jamie K. Richey, President

National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska

Office: (402) 477-7711

Cell: (308) 520-9024

E-Mail: president at ne.nfb.org <mailto:president at ne.nfb.org>