[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] National Updates

Jamie K. Richey jamie.richey16 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 03:22:23 UTC 2022

Greetings,

Please find some updates below directly from our national office in Baltimore.  Happy reading!

Federation Comments on the Findings for the 2022 Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act Biennial Report:

On Monday, August 8, we submitted comments in response to the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) tentative findings for the 2022 Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act Biennial Report to Congress. The

full text of our comments to the FCC <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/national-federation-blind-comments-tentative-findings>

can be read on the Policy Statements page of our website.

Accessibility of Federal Technology and Websites:

On Thursday, August 11, Senate Aging Committee Chairman Bob Casey (Pennsylvania) sent a letter requesting a Government Accountability Office investigation into the accessibility of federal technology, including websites, for people with disabilities. Additional signatories on the letter include Senators Patty Murray (Washington), Richard Burr (North Carolina), Kirsten Gillibrand (New York), and Mike Braun (Indiana). We believe this letter is in response to the recent hearing on this topic, at which Anil Lewis testified in person. You can read

Anil’s testimony <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/anil-lewiss-testimony-senate-special-committee-aging>

on the

Policy Statements page <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements>  of our website.

Blind Prisoner Resources:

Earlier this month the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado and two blind prisoners resolved their suit against the Colorado Department of Corrections. The requirements included in the settlement can be considered best practices:.

Rulings, Filings, and Letters <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/rulings-filings-and-letters#blindprisoners>

Additionally, the NFB reviewed and endorsed the white paper, Project: Effective Communication with Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Blind, and Low Vision Incarcerated People, available

Here <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/support-and-resources>

Comments to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Regarding Autonomous Vehicles:

On Friday, August 19, we submitted

comments to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/comments-nhtsa-regarding-ford-and-gm-requests>

regarding the development and testing of fully autonomous vehicles. These comments were in response to petitions from Ford and General Motors to be exempt from certain Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards as they pertain to autonomous vehicles. The exemption requests included features in the area of brake pedals, rearview mirrors and backup cameras, and positioning of windshield wipers and sun visors. Given the great benefit that fully autonomous vehicles will likely have for blind Americans, we reviewed this matter and believe that the exemptions sought by Ford and GM should be granted in order to further the development of fully autonomous vehicles. You can read our full comments on this, and many other regulatory issues, on the

policy statements page <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements>  of our website.

Sincerely,

Jamie K. Richey, President

National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska

Office: (402) 477-7711

Cell: (308) 520-9024

E-Mail:  <mailto:president at ne.nfb.org> president at ne.nfb.org