[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] Blind Equality Achievement Month

Jamie K. Richey jamie.richey16 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 05:01:46 UTC 2022

BEAM

Blind Equality Achievement Month

Remember history. Advance equality. Celebrate accomplishments.

Formerly known as Meet the Blind Month, the National Federation of the Blind
celebrates the organized blind movement during October. Throughout the
month, our members conduct a variety of outreach activities in their local
communities. Many of these activities center on

<https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-equality-achievement-month/white-ca
ne-awareness-day> White Cane Awareness Day

Which is October 15. For blind people, the white cane is an essential tool
that gives us the ability to achieve a full and independent life. It allows
us to move freely and safely from place to place-whether it's at work, at
school, or around our neighborhoods.

Share Your Federation Memory Minute

. Using the hashtag

#BlindMonth

share the positive impact that mentors within the Federation have had on
your life and how opportunities to earning equal wages and other aspects of
employment are valuable to you.  Check out these

<https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-equality-achievement-month/share-yo
ur-federation-memory-minute> Tips

for making a video.

Kick off BEAM on October 1st with the October Presidential Release live from
Mississippi!

President Riccobono will be presenting the monthly message from the Jackson
Chapter. This month's release will start at 4:00 p.m. central time, so
please note the change from the normal time.

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=540> Get the presidential
release access details.

On October 2nd participate in the Furlongs for Paws 5K in Omaha!  Additional
details can be found on the

<https://furlongsforpaws5k.com/?fbclid=IwAR1edbmMIBQ1JN52V28tRqG9rNXaphKQRvd
xUz1zb_BpsnqXC2aWlZrFru8> Website

On October 7th catch an interview with Radio Talking Books and yours truly
on Community Conversations. The program airs at 12:30 p.m. Central time.
More information can be found

 <https://rtbs.org/ways-to-listen/> Here

Here is a rundown of things going on this month locally and nationally!  If
you or your chapter is doing something special for BEAM contact me ASAP so
we can get the word out!

All times below are listed in central time.

*	October 1: Presidential Release Live
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=540>  - 4:00 p.m.
*	October 2: Furlongs for Paws 5K
<https://furlongsforpaws5k.com/?fbclid=IwAR1edbmMIBQ1JN52V28tRqG9rNXaphKQRvd
xUz1zb_BpsnqXC2aWlZrFru8>  - Omaha
*	October 3: Columbus Area Chapter Meeting - 12:30 p.m.
*	October 4:
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/events
> Office 365 Suite Accessibility Boutique
*	October 4: NABS Monthly Meeting - 8:00 p.m. via Zoom
*	October 6: Career Fair Fearless Job Interview Part 1
*	October 7: President Richey on Community Conversations
<https://rtbs.org/ways-to-listen/>  - 12:30 p.m.
*	October 10: NFBN Senior Division Monthly Meeting - 7:00 p.m. via
Zoom
*	October 13:  Career Fair Fearless Job Interview Part 2
*	October 15: White Cane Awareness Day
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-equality-achievement-month/white-ca
ne-awareness-day>
*	October 15: Lincoln Chapter Meeting - 10:00 a.m.
*	October 15: Omaha Chapter Transit and Lunch Activity - 11:00 a.m.
*	 October 16: Greater At-Large Chapter Meeting - 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
*	October 21: Where the Blind Work Webinar
*	October 22: NFBN State Board Meeting - 10:00 a.m. in Omaha
*	October 25:
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/events
> Education Technology Accessibility Boutique
*	October 26:  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=522>
Career Fair!  - Registration Required

If additional events or activities are planned for Blind Equality
Achievement Month, I will pass that information along!

In the meantime, be sure and use the hashtag

#BlindMonth.

When posting details and highlights of BEAM activities on social media!

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back!

Sincerely,

Jamie K. Richey, President

National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska