[Nebraska-students] Philosophical Terminology

Amy Mason amason80 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 05:35:14 UTC 2008

When it comes right down to it, I now consider myself blind, but when I
first learned about the organization... it was a different story.  I refused
the term, and although I always believed, at least on some level, in  the
ability of blind people, ( I had a blind great-aunt winning state fair
ribbons in cooking, how could I not?) I couldn't wrap my mind around the
idea of being blind myself.  I figured I had some sight, so it didn't count,
or maybe I wouldn't be welcome, so I was a bit shy of NFB things and
philosophy at first. I tend to agree with KD's assessment, that sometimes we
have to use the terms that people understand, and in the case of blind
people with some remaining vision, its usually something like legally-blind
or visually impaired..etc, or they may not see the NFB as being an
organization for them too.  Once we have welcomed a new member, we can teach
them the philosophy, but we have to get them through the door first, and
these terms are useful for that.

Just my 2 cents worth... *grin*

Amy