[Nebraska-students] Philosophical Terminology

Amy Mason amason80 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 01:12:25 UTC 2008

As to the discussion of the kids at the skating rink, blind would have been
a more useful term.  When it comes to the KNFB mobile, I think it was a
matter of what sub-division of the blind would be assisted.  A totally blind
person would have very little use for a magnification function, so it was
actually geared toward those who often self-identify as visually-impaired.
In that context, at least, Visually impaired is an appropriate descriptor,
and far less a mouthful than the NFB-appropriate alternative, blind with
some remaining vision.

Amy