[Nebraska-students] A Vision of the Future

Karen Anderson kea_anderson at cox.net
Thu May 21 02:32:43 UTC 2009

This article is from the May-June 2009 issue of LifeGlow, which is published
by Christian Record Services of Lincoln NE

Note;  On the front of the magazine is a picture of Jeff Altman working with
a power saw.

A Vision for the Future

(Picture) Caption: Elizabeth Weisser practices her mobility skills.

Fear would have driven many out of the room-sighted and blind alike. Not
Alex. Smooth pieces of wood taken from a poplar tree wait on the table
before him. Wood essence permeates the surrounding area jumbled with
equipment-a band saw, table saw, drill press, and many other woodworking
tools sit ready for use.

The Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired doesn't kid
around. Empowering people who are blind, promoting opportunities, and
building belief in oneself is more than just the organization's motto.

"We want people to be totally confident in their life, not just pass by,"
says Fatos Floyd, director of the Nebraska Center for the Blind, a part of
the Commission. "Anybody can pass by. But are we on this earth for that? I'm
not."

Teaching woodshop skills (see cover photo), an area that often creates
anxiety, is only one of many services offered by the Commission. "If I can
run a power tool, I can do anything*" Floyd laughs.

But 34 years ago, Floyd couldn't run a power tool-or even function
independently in day-to-day situations. The summer before

she was to start at Bosphorus University in Turkey, two brain surgeries left
her completely blind. Unwilling to give away her hard-earned spot at the
institution, Floyd pressed ahead and graduated a few years later with a
double major in psychology and teaching.

"After I finished, I realized I was one of the most educated, but most
illiterate persons in Turkey," she recalls. "I couldn't read and write, and
I was functionally illiterate."

Moving to America, Floyd attended what was then called Arkansas Enterprises
for the Blind, now Lions World Services for the Blind. By age 24, she had
learned basic life skills, including Braille-opening up an entire new world
for her to experience.  For the past fourteen years, Floyd has directed the
Nebraska Center to give others a similar chance at a self-sufficient life.

"Society in general believes that blindness is something to be feared, that

blind people are helpless and hopeless," Floyd explains. "There are a lot of
misconceptions. So if we live in such a society, we begin to believe these
things. We need to educate. It is not out of negativity that people say that
blind people are helpless and hopeless-it is out of ignorance. People do not
understand how a blind person will live a productive life."

Blind individuals are shattering stereotypes. Erik Weihenmayer, blind since
the age of 13, has climbed the seven highest mountains in the world. In 1997
he got married at the height of 13,000 feet on Mount Kilimanjaro. In
England, private pilot Jim O'Neill was blinded due to a sudden stroke while
flying. However, he was able to safely land his aircraft with aid from the
Royal Air Force.

"We have people doing really interesting jobs; jobs that people might think
you need vision to do," Floyd says. "The only jobs that I do believe blind
people cannot do are truck driving and car driving. We know that blind
people can do things. The reason they're not isn't blindness. Society
believes the myths and misconceptions about blind people."

It isn't easy changing society's views. Movies and books portray people who
are

blind as incompetent. As the visually impaired are a minority, the sighted
don't often meet a person who is blind or get to see how successful many
truly are. Ignorance harms all involved, even in the form of compliments.

"We forget you're blind, because you act so natural," Floyd was told during
a meeting with other master's-level professionals.

"Well, I forget you're a woman because you drive so well," she shot back.

Floyd says that before offering a supposed compliment, people should think
about what they're getting ready to say. "When you make a comment about
blind people, if you just change the blindness to another minority- woman or
Jewish or whatever-then you begin to realize it's really not a compliment
that you're saying. It's really putting that group down," the Center
director explains.

In Lincoln, people who are blind work hard at changing not only perceptions,
but also their own lives. Considered one of the top four centers in the
United States, the Nebraska Center for the Blind is a busy place. Ninety
percent of the clients live in apartments downtown and commute each day to
the center, where their training course may last anywhere from 9 to 12
months. How do they make it to and from the Center?

Jeff Altman, a tower beside the tiny, vivacious Floyd, trains students in
cane travel techniques. Clients learn everything from basic long cane usage
to locating street addresses and using Lincoln's bus system. Altman doesn't
teach specific routes, such as going to the post office. Instead, he gives
clients skills they can use anywhere.

"Jeff has a good analogy. Imagine us dropping you with a parachute in
Turkey. You've never been there and don't know a word of Turkish," Floyd
says. "We can drop you by yourself-nobody there to help you. At the end of
the year you will learn Turkish, but will have gotten into a lot of trouble.
Or, we can drop you with a native Turk whose second language is English and
they can interpret everything. Would you learn Turkish by the end of the
year? No. Our way is that we will drop you with someone else. They will
teach you the basics, but then let you practice things by yourself."

That philosophy guides the way the students learn everything, not just
travel. From navigating buffet lines to communication-

11

such as handwriting and computer programs like Excel-students begin with 100
percent assistance from the instructors. But by the end of the year,
students are able to accomplish it all by themselves.

"We teach the basic structure, but set it up so people have a time and place
to practice what they learn and problem-solve by themselves," Floyd says.
Instead of teaching the students how to brown a burger, for example, Cindy
Zimmer, home management instructor, teaches them how to tell when the burger
is brown. Many of the center's clients were previously sighted and must
learn alternative ways of managing.

"When you're at a party and you're the only blind person, guess how many
people are looking at you?" Floyd asks. "Everybody. We need to realize that
it's okay; I don't care if people look at me. But we are representing, as
one person, the whole group. It is a big thing to carry on our shoulders,
but that is the reality. From one blind person others are going to deduce
that all blind people are like that."

The sense of responsibility may seem heavy, and although Floyd jokingly
refers to the Center as a boot camp, the clients' search for independence is
often full of laughter and fun. They attend cultural activities, such as
local theaters and festivals, as well as work on community projects. Jokes
are cracked in the classroom, meals made by clients are set up for newcomers
as well as entered into cooking competitions. The family-like atmosphere
pushes students toward an assurance that soon becomes integral to who they
are.

"Blind people need to have the confidence in themselves to go into an
interview and say, 'You will benefit from hiring me. This is not a hand out.
I will do a good job,'" Floyd explains. It's not just the feeling of
self-assurance the Center teaches. The practical ways of successfully living
instead of simply existing are paramount to the operation. Some things
aren't written in a guide somewhere, and must be discovered along the way.

At one point, a client asked, "Can a blind person be a waiter?" The dining
room was then set up as a restaurant, and he was given four tables to wait
on. Calling last names, just as in a regular restaurant, Floyd played the
role of a hostess.

"What would be the most functional way of taking orders?" the group asked
one another.

13

Slate and stylus wouldn't be practical to carry around. A digital recorder,
however, turned out to be the perfect solution. "He served all of us that
day, and realized, 'Yeah, it can be done,'" Floyd says.

The Nebraska Center for the Blind continues to teach its students important
skills. A wooden desk taking form in front of Alex, a middle aged client, is
a tangible representation of what he's learning at the Center.

"I'm gaining confidence to know that I'm working on these tools with no
guards or anything, and that / can do it," he explains. As Alex picks up his
woodworking tool, he begins shaping his future. Fear is not an option.

The Christian Record Readers Forum is now a Facebook discussion group. If
you have already joined Facebook online, just type Christian Record Readers
Forum into the search box at the upper right corner of your Facebook home
page, and join or begin a conversation. If you haven't joined Facebook yet,
just go to www.facebook.com <http://www.facebook.com/> .