[Nebraska-students] Call to action

Karen Anderson kea.anderson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 07:40:50 UTC 2010

Hello all,

We discussed this at the most recent NABS call, but I know not all of
you were able to attend that.
I am pasting a message from President Amy Buresh at the bottom of my
email. We have a bill in front of the legislature that, if passed,
would help improve the lives of blind children by putting Braille at
their fingertips at an earlier age. I know many of us know the value
of Braille, whether we learned it as children or adults. Some of us
fought for Braille instruction. Some of us are still fighting.
Whatever your story, we need to hear it. We need as many students as
possible to attend the hearing on Tuesday, January 19. If you can not
attend, please consider writing a testamonial that can be put in the
record. Senators need to hear from us. We have an opportunity to make
things better for the next generation of blind students.
If you want someone to look over your testamonial, feel free to send
it to me. My address is kea.anderson at gmail.com.
Thank you all for everything you have done and everything I know you
will do to help get this bill passed.

Sincerely,
Karen Anderson

Hearing for LB754 Scheduled
Greetings Federationists and Friends,
I’m writing with an urgent call to immediate action. A hearing for our
Braille Literacy Rights Act for Blind Children, LB754 has been
scheduled for next Tuesday, January 19th at 1:30 PM. It will be held
in room 1525 of the state capitol.
I know many of you will turn out in person in full force to flood the
hearing room to capacity. We’re counting on you for that.
If you are unable to attend, we know you will be with us in spirit. I
urge you to send correspondence via email or snail mail to Senator
Greg Adams office and ask it be included in the official testimony of
the hearing.
Pasted below is the contact information for Senator Adams and the
other members of the education committee.
The number for the unicameral is (402) 471-2271. You could call that
number and ask the operator to transfer your call to any of the
senators office.
Senator Giese
bgiese at leg.ne.gov
Ashford Brad, District 20
bashford at leg.ne.
Avery Bill, District 28
bavery at leg.ne.gov
Haar Ken, District 21
khaar at leg.ne.gov
Stuthman Arnie, District 22, he is not in the committee
astuthman at leg.ne.gov
Please contact Carlos Servan with a copy of any correspondence sent to
a legislator. If you need help in drafting your letter, please contact
Carlos, (402) 327-0414, Jeff Altman (402) 489-9458 or myself (402)
465-5468.
I look forward to working with all of you on this critical issue. The
blind children in this state are counting on us.
Sincerely,
Amy Buresh, President, NFBN