[Nebraska-students] Nebraska-students Digest, Vol 67, Issue 6

Amy Mason amason80 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 22:32:35 UTC 2010

Ali,

I would go ahead and check-in ahead of time. Most people who travel often do
this, blind and sighted, it makes it easier at the airport.  From there, I
usually ask people for directions to the security, and gate areas as
needed.  I don't ask for help from the airline, mostly because I like to
feel like I have the freedom to grab a bit to eat or drink if I have a long
lunchtime layover because I feel like they expect me not to move if they
settle me somewhere. Whereas, if I ask for directions and get to and from
the gate myself, I feel like they have no say about what I do with myself
once I arrive.

As to which cane you take with you, I make that decision based on what I
will be doing once I arrive at the destination.  When I went to Kenya, I
took 3. A telescoping, and a folding for when space was at a premium, and a
straight for when I needed the extra feedback that it provided me.  I've
gone on trips that I would choose a folding cane for different events
because I don't want to lose my straight cane, like baseball games, plays or
concerts, but I usually take my straight because its more informative and I
want the extra information. Lately, I've been using my telescoping cane,
because my straight has a bad wobble, but that's not my preferred choice.
Ususally when I am traveling, I keep a spare folding cane in my carry on,
just so I always have something, should my straight cane meet with an
unfortunate end.

The airline is not allowed to take your cane from you, though you will need
to get it settled under the seats, or between the seats and the edge of the
plane, like Amy's note mentioned.

As to meeting someone on the other end, I would recommend that they meet you
just outside of security if possible, or at the baggage claim.  They will
probably recognize you, and if they have a sign, you may not see what it
says, but you might notice the people with signs, and you can always ask
them if they are here to meet you.

Anyway, I hope you have a blast on your trip.

Amy