[Nebraska-students] Readings

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 19:09:03 UTC 2017

Asking for accomodations is being independent. When you struggle to
accomplish something without the proper tools and/or methods, AKA
accomodations, you are not being independent. Using accomodations, whatever
they may be, including asking for descriptions, you're being independent.

This is a serious question, but what is the difference between reading a
audio narrated book or using a screenreader to read text and using a live
reader? Nothing wrong with any of these methods, but what really is the
difference? All require you to listen and focus using your hearing as
opposed to print or Braille. I'm just wondering what the real difference is.

As someone who used to read print, and read it fast, it was an adjustment to
audio for me. It took me an entire semester of going back to school as a
blind student, using audio in various formats daily to really adjust. Now
I'm used to it, but it did take time. But as a writer and editor, I use
audio very well now.

You can ask someone for anything you think will help. If a study group is
willing to read out loud, then ask. If you can find a single person to act
as reader, then that works too. Are you still a Commission client? They will
pay for a reader if you need it.

Descriptions of the visual are necessary and important. You will not pass
the class if you sit silent. Ask the instructor and peers for descriptions
on anything and everything. Again, this is not taking away your independence
but providing you independence through description to do the work. Ask as
many questions as you need in class. If you need to meet with the instructor
in person, schedule a time, but don't hesitate to ask questions.

The fact is that you're visually impaired and required different
tools/methods at times in order to be independent and do your best work. No
one will think it unusual or odd, and if they do, who cares? You will be
confident knowing you're doing the best work possible. That's the end-goal.

Bridgit