[Nebraska-Students] News from Nebraska and National

Jamie K. Richey jamie.richey16 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 20:58:38 UTC 2023

Greetings Federation Family!

Happy  National Friends day to each of you!  Not only are we all family
within the Federation we are also friends who support each other!  It's also
national root beer float day, so maybe you can grab one of these delicious
treats with one of your Federation friends!

The recently past #nfb23 national convention was a great success!
Eighty-one Nebraskan's attended in person ranking us in 7th place for
attendance!  Please share your feedback on the

  <https://nfb.org/convention> National Convention Survey

To complete the survey by phone, call

229-632-7878

or toll-free

833-632-7878.

Please note that the phone number above provides the survey in an automated
system and will require the survey to be completed in one session. There is
an option to pause the survey for five minutes and the pause can be extended
as needed. Push the pound key for help.

The #NFB23

 <https://nfb.org/convention> Convention Highlights .

Are also now available.

Save the date!

NFB24 is scheduled for July 3 through 8 in Orlando, Florida!  Make plans to
attend!

The NFB of Nebraska Board of Directors held a quarterly board meeting on
July 22nd in Lincoln.  During this meeting, the drawing was held for the
affiliate raffle that took place during July.  Thank you to all who sold and
purchased tickets!  We grossed around $500 from the raffle.  Congratulations
to Carlos Servan for winning the Omaha Steaks package and employees of the
Walker Street Kitchen in Houston for winning the From Nebraska basket!

***CONVENTION ANNOUNCEMENT***

Marke your calendars for Thursday, April 11 through Sunday April 14, 2024!
These are the dates of our state convention to be held at the

 <https://www.monumentinnsuites.com/> Monument Inn and Suites

And the

 <https://www.geringciviccenter.com/> Gering Civic Center

In Gering Nebraska!

2009 was the last time we held a convention in that area, so it is exciting
to head west!  More information including room rates and transportation will
be released soon.  However it is never too early to start saving and make
your plans to attend!

Remember history. Advance equality. Celebrate accomplishments. The National
Federation of the Blind celebrates the organized blind movement during
October!  What would you like to see the Nebraska affiliate do during Blind
Equality Achievement Month?  Email me as soon as possible with your ideas
and let's make it happen!

Here are some notes from President Riccobono and the National Office.

The National Federation of the Blind Route 66 Ride for Literacy with Dan
O'Rourke has officially kicked off. Starting in Santa Monica, California, on
July 27, Dan has biked across the first state and is heading through Arizona
as of August 1. Please share this ride with your friends and family to raise
awareness on the importance of Braille literacy and connecting with our
community. Follow the Ride for Literacy at  <https://nfb.org/route66>
nfb.org/route66.

On Tuesday, July 25, the United States Access Board conducted its quarterly
meeting at our headquarters right here in Baltimore. The public portion of
the meeting is available on the

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUgAv8c_HzY> Access Board's YouTube
channel.

On Wednesday, July 26, the House Committee on Energy and Commerce
Subcommittee on Innovation, Data, and Commerce conducted a legislative
hearing titled "Self-Driving Vehicle Legislative Framework: Enhancing
Safety, Improving Lives and Mobility, and Beating China." I was asked to
testify at this hearing regarding the impact of autonomous vehicles on
people with disabilities.

<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/2023-07/IDC_Mark%20Riccobono%20Testimon
y-Self%20Driving%20Vehicles-AV%20Hearing_7.26.2023.pdf> Check out President
Riccobono's written testimony

Are you ready for a 2024 Braille calendar? The American Action Fund for
Blind Children and Adults produces over eight thousand Braille calendars
each year, and they are given free to any blind or deafblind persons in the
United States. These pocket calendars are great for the office, home, or
your travel bag.

 You can order up to three Braille calendars via our online form at
<http://actionfund.org/resources/braille-calendars>
actionfund.org/resources/braille-calendars

By sending an email to

 <mailto:actionfund at actionfund.org> actionfund at actionfund.org

Or by leaving a telephone message at

410-659-9315.

Enjoy the last few weeks of summer!

Sincerely,

Jamie K. Richey, President

National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska

Office: (402) 477-7711

E-Mail: president at ne.nfb.org <mailto:president at ne.nfb.org>

Website: www.ne.nfb.org <http://www.ne.nfb.org>

The National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska knows that blindness is not
blindness is not what holds you back.