[New-hampshire-students] National Federation of the Blind Enhances and Expands Newspaper Service for the Blind

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Apr 1 01:01:45 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Enhances and Expands
  Newspaper Service for the Blind

NFB-NEWSLINE®

 Online Offers Blind Individuals More Options for Accessing the News

Baltimore, Maryland (March 31, 2009):
NFB-NEWSLINE®, the largest electronic newspaper
service in the world for blind and print-disabled
Americans, is pleased to announce the launch of
NFB-NEWSLINE® Online
(<http://www.nfbnewslineonline.org/>www.nfbnewslineonline.org).
Through NFB-NEWSLINE® Online’s groundbreaking
features, subscribers can enjoy both an enhanced
experience in reading the news and dramatically
increased flexibility in how they choose to
access their favorite publication’s content.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “The NFB-NEWSLINE®
service was created so that blind people could
benefit from independent access to information on
world news and hometown events in the same way
that our sighted colleagues can.  The new
features offered by NFB-NEWSLINE® Online are an
extension of this service’s ability to allow
independent and flexible access to news content
by the blind.  I am very proud of the increased
choice and convenience that initiatives like Web
News on Demand and NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket
provide to NFB-NEWSLINE® subscribers.”

NFB-NEWSLINE®, which began operation in 1995,
offers over 275 newspapers and magazines as well
as TV listings to over 65,000 subscribers through
a standard touch-tone telephone.  With the
exciting launch of NFB-NEWSLINE® Online,
subscribers also now have unequaled access and
unrivaled flexibility in how they read their
favorite publications.  Two new initiatives have
been designed to enhance the subscriber’s
experience: Web News on Demand and NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket.

Through the easy-to-use Web News on Demand
feature, subscribers can, for the first time
ever, visit a secure Web site that offers a
customizable reading experience and the ability
to send entire publications, particular sections,
or single articles to their e-mail inbox.  NFB-
NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket is a dynamic software
application that a subscriber installs on his or
her computer.  Through an Internet connection,
this software automatically downloads the
publications of the subscriber’s choice to his or
her portable digital talking book player (such as
the Victor Reader Stream or Icon/Braille+).

Jerry Moreno, a retired social worker from North
Carolina, said: “I love being able to get my
favorite papers onto my digital talking book
player in such an easy and quick
way!  NFB-NEWSLINE® In Your Pocket does it all
for me, so that I can go about my morning routine
and by the time I’m done my papers are loaded and
ready for me to read along with my cup of coffee.”

David DeNotaris, director of Bureau of Blindness
& Visual Services with the Pennsylvania Office of
Vocational Rehabilitation, said: “As a husband,
father, avid sports fan, and busy professional, I
particularly appreciate the fact that Web News on
Demand allows me to access relevant local,
national, and international news quickly, simply, and independently.”

To experience the groundbreaking features of
NFB-NEWSLINE® Online, please visit
<http://www.nfbnewslineonline.org/>www.nfbnewslineonline.org.
For further information please write to
<mailto:swhite at nfb.org>swhite at nfb.org or call (866) 504-7300.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National
Federation of the Blind is the largest and most
influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves
blind people's lives through advocacy, education,
research, technology, and programs encouraging
independence and self-confidence.  It is the
leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004
the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.