[New-hampshire-students] Telephone support group for young adults and parents

Marie Johnson jomar2000 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 7 17:15:14 UTC 2009

Hi Guys and Gals, this was posted late last year but I thought it may be worth re-visiting. I have been asked by a couple of people for this kind of resource so I dug it up from the email graveyard to pass it on to all.
The phone number is still valid, as I just checked it out, and although it is out of NY, I hope it has relevance to all partsof the country. don't know because I didn't get a real person to chat with. Anyway, if interested...

* Are you a visually impaired teenager or young adult?

We are forming a telephone support group just for you!

Starting in September 2008, The Children's Vision Health Initiative, a program funded by The Jewish Guild for the Blind, will form telephone support groups aimed at the concerns of visually impaired teenagers and young adults around the country.

Participants will have the opportunity to discuss common social concerns. Some of the subjects we expect to discuss are:

-Driving / Traveling at Night

-College

-Career

-Dating

-Scientific Advances

Groups will be facilitated by a professional familiar with blinding diseases, and will meet on a weekly basis by phone, through a toll-free number, for 60 to 90 minutes. The groups will be small, so everyone will have the opportunity to take part. Interesting guest speakers, including renowned scientists, will join the groups occasionally.

The Guild currently provides telephone support groups for the parents of blind and visually impaired children and adolescents. It was at the suggestion of some of these parents that the Guild decided to expand their program by creating groups for the teenagers and young adults themselves. The group facilitator will conduct parent orientation sessions before the groups commence.

For a parent, teenager, or young adult to register for a telephone support group, please call:

1-800-915-0306