[New-hampshire-students] How many children in America are not taught to read?

Maurer, Patricia PMaurer at nfb.org
Thu Aug 6 15:58:58 UTC 2009

----------
From: Marc Maurer [mailto:outreach at nfb.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:14 PM
To: Maurer, Patricia
Subject: How many children in America are not taught to read?

The answer is 90 percent if the children are blind.  Most Americans
are shocked to hear this statistic.  And we should be.  The blind
read and write using Braille, so why is our educational system
failing to teach Braille to so many children?  Why are these children
being denied the opportunities that come with a proper
education?  What if you could not read and write?  Where would you be today?

There are three primary reasons for this educational crisis: (1)
there are not enough Braille teachers; (2) some teachers of blind
children have not received enough training; and (3) many educators do
not think Braille instruction is even necessary.

To bring critically-needed attention to this educational crisis, the
United States Congress authorized the minting of the 2009 Louis
Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar with a portion of the sale of each
coin going toward a revolutionary and comprehensive Braille literacy
campaign.

Learning to read and write is fundamental to education, which in turn
is paramount to full and equal participation in American
society.  This coin, the first U.S. coin to have proper tactile
Braille, symbolizes independence, opportunity, and the potential of
blind people to make significant contributions to society when they
are taught to read and write using Braille.  To learn more, read our
report
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=yeymcYhMheQ-y7-mcNDRWg..>The
Braille Literacy Crisis in America, or watch our video
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=8AWBxYZpjpELqegcgZlFhg..>Making
Change with a Dollar.

<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=oU7TznrVm6kt3P1O7AWYDg..>Please
purchase this unique and beautiful coin now and help solve this
educational crisis for blind children in America.

The law authorizing this 2009 silver dollar requires that any coins
not sold by midnight on December 31, 2009, be melted down.  Time is
of the essence--a 90 percent illiteracy rate is not acceptable and
the opportunity to purchase this coin will soon be gone.

Be part of the solution.  Give the gift of literacy.  Create new
opportunities.
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=nMVjIeI1iave6Nk717B4dA..>Buy
the Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar today.

Marc Maurer, President
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND