[New-hampshire-students] See if this surprises you! Fw: SchedulingRequest

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 16:31:35 UTC 2009

Marie,

I know it must be frustrating.  My contribution probably won't help that
feeling, but having lobbied for the NFB for the past eight years, and having
assisted with legislative campaigns for several anti-human trafficking
organizations for the past three, I assure you meeting with a member of
Congress is not everything it's chalked up to be.  Someone once said, rather
ignorantly, that an organization should line up meetings with at least three
senators to show just how influential the organization could be.  Yet,
considering Boys Scouts and other such groups meet with public officials
regularly, I'm not entirely sure what criteria they were using to measure
influence.

Have you ever heard the saying that behind every man stands a good woman?
Behind every good public official stands a good group of legislative aides.
With few exceptions, I would prefer to meet with these aides, because it is
they who balance the official's priorities.  It is they who conduct the
research, write dear colleague letters, offer language revisions to pending
legislation, things a representative or senator is too busy to figure out
for him or herself.

Now, I'm not saying that meeting with the real deal is not good.  I'm just
saying that the way you make those meetings productive is by finding your
way to the top of their personal concerns by cultivating a strong
relationship with the right aide.  Every time McCarthy and company issue one
of their legislative alerts, be quick to forward that message along with a
personal note of how it was good to see them in February and how this is a
progress report on a piece of legislation they should really consider being
a part of.  I would develop a distribution list in your e-mail client or a
spreadsheet with the right contacts per congressional office and keep them
regularly updated, not only of the legislative progress, but of your own
affiliate's progress.  Invite them to your student functions, your state
conventions.  Tell them about any scholarship opportunities you guys may be
hosting.  In February you should use the opportunity to set the stage.  The
rest of the year you spend your time building on that foundation.  I think
many affiliates enjoy Washington Seminar for the opportunity to come
together and celebrate our legislative priorities, but few of them manage
effective follow-up operations.

Anyway, I hope this helps on some level.  This year may not turn out to be
the year you meet with the representative, but next year I promise you will
have gotten a lot closer to that opportunity through your efforts at
introducing their office not just to the organization, but to its people.

Best,

Joe Orozco

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."--James M.
Barrie