[New-hampshire-students] North Country Chapter recruiting

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Fri Aug 27 01:10:15 UTC 2010

I had a long phone talk with Gil Vickery this morning, and he asked for two things.

In mid-Sept the Childs magic show will take place in Littleton, on Friday the 17 if I remember. The NC chapter only has three active members, and he needs some help to sell tickets, candy, etc, and hopes people from other chapters could give him support. His chapter always does well distributing tickets to schools, day care centers, etc., and kids bring their parents who buy tickets at the door.

He also said that Walter Childs is ageing badly, and cannot continue the shows much longer. A new person is being trained to take over.

Also Gil needs an event to try to recruit new members. At one time the chapter had been very strong, but old members have died, moved away, or lost interest. When the chapter was first founded the state put on a free meal in a restaurant to attract potential members, where several people spoke about what the NFB is and what we do, and it had been successful then. This was some 20 years ago. (The state had done a similar recruiting dinner in Keene, for Jodi Ianuzzi, and later for Judy Leavitt.) A lunch could be provided for about $6 a person, Gil said, and he suggests a Saturday in October. I could be there on the 2nd, 23, or 30. (I have conflicts the other Saturdays.) Can the state organization help out here by sending others, and help with financing?

Ed Meskys