[New-hampshire-students] Fw: convention

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Tue May 11 14:45:45 UTC 2010

LAKES REGION NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND of NH NEWSLETTER for May, 2010

We invite all persons interested in matters concerning blindness and low vision to our meetings. We normally meet at 10:30 AM on the 3rd Saturday of the month at the Good Shepherd Lutheran Chuirch on Parade Road (Rt 106), a little north of Elm St. .

We have cancelled our May meeting because our state organization, the NFB of NH, is having its annual meeting on our normal date, Sat. May 15. This is an open meeting, and everyone is encouraged to attend. The schedule is:

National Federation of the Blind of New Hampshire

Annual Convention

May 15th, 2010

The proceedings of this Convention are to begin at 11:00am.  All those who are planning to be in attendance are asked to have been registered and seated by this time. There is no registration fee.

q       Call to Order

q       Roll Call of the Board and Members of the Affiliate

q       Pledge of Allegiance

o    Lead by a Veteran

q       NFB Pledge

o    Lead by the National Representative

q       Invocation

o    Lead by a Retired Minister

q       Reading of the Minutes from the last Board Meeting

o    By Ed Meskys

q       Treasurer's Report

o    ???

q       Reports from the Chapters

o    North Country

o    Monadnock

o    Lakes Region

q       Report from the Scholarship Committee

******Break for Lunch*****

q        Nominations from the floor, with 5 min speaking time per person

q       Casting of Ballots

q       Tallying of Votes - There will be a 20-minute break for this.

q       Acceptance Speeches

o    5 min limit/per person

q       PAC discussion and registration

o    All persons who are interested in signing up for PAC should see the designated person at the registration table.

q       National Convention

o    Dallas, TX. July 3 - 8.  Hilton Anitole Hotel.

o    More information is available on the NFB website @ nfb.org.

o    The naming of the delegate and alternate deligate for the convention.  Also including a brief description of what their responsibilities will be.

o    What amount of their accommodations will be paid by the state?

q       National Representative's Speech

o    Ron Gardner - President of the Utah affiliate.

q       President's Yearly Proposal Speech

q       A word from a representative from any organization in the State of New Hampshire, who would like to say a few words

o    Sight Services Group

o    NHAB

q       Plans for the Annual Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of New Hampshire, 2011.

q       Any other business of the Board.

o    Anyone who drove a Board Member to Convention or any Volunteer Drivers, Please see the Treasurer.

q       Any other matters or questions that need to be brought to the attention of the Board or members present at this gathering today?

q       Adjourn

There will be a meeting of the Student Division following the business portion of this meeting.

There will be a time to gather and socialize in the hotel for dinner.  All are invited to gather in the designated area around 6:00pm.

===

I am very happy to be posting that the State Convention will be held in Keene. The location of the event will be at the E.F. Lane Hotel, on Main Street in keene. The discounted rate for a room is $119.00 + tax, per night. The luncheon will be a Deli Buffet and will include dessert and a drink. The cost of the lunch is $15.00. There will also be a time for socialization during the evening, and there will be a cash bar and the availibility to order from the dinner menu. The hospitality room will be open late into the night for networking and fellowship.

If you wish to stay overnight, please call the hotel at 603-357-7070. You should speak to Chris, she is the hotel manager.

If there are anymore questions please contact me at 603-903-5855, Cassandra McNabb, president, Monadnock Chapter.

===

Our next Lakes Region chapter meeting will be on the 4th Saturday of June, the 26th, at the usual time and place. It is one week later than normal because most of our volunteer drivers will not go out during "motorcycle week."

As usual our annual cookout and games will take place on Saturday, July 17, at Ellacoya State Park in Gilford.

==

Do you know another blind or low vision person? Invite them to join us. We are the blind working to help the blind by sharing information, techniques, resources, and socialization. Help bring others to share with us. With their permission give us their regular or e-mail addresses so we can send announcements. We produce this newsletter in large print and by email. The cassette version is temporarily suspended as my high speed tape duplicator is out of order. Please request your preferred format. edmeskys at roadrunner.com [note that this is new!], 253-6207.

If you need help with transportation please call Ed Meskys several days before the meeting and we will see what we can do to help.

CALENDAR
Sat May 15, NFB of NH state conference.

Fri May 28, Tech Users' Group, 9 AM - noon, NHAB

Tues, Jun 1, Sight Services for Independent Living, Laconia Senior Center, 1-3 PM

Sat Jun 5, NHAB Blindness Awareness Walk

Fri Jun 25, Blind Technology Users Group, NHAB, 9-noon

Sat Jun 26, LR chapter meeting

Sat Jul 3 -Thur Jul 8, NFB National Convention, Dallas TX

Sat Jul 10, Dog Guide users meeting, Red Blazer restaurant, 1-3:30 PM

Sat Jul 17, LR chapter picnic, Ellacoya State Park, Gilford

No August meeting