[New-york-news] Introduction

Gabias, Paul paul.gabias at ubc.ca
Sun Jan 5 00:00:28 UTC 2014

Hi Everybody,

I'm so happy about the existence of this list, because it helps me stay
connected to New York, particularly things NFB of New York.  My New York
connection is this:  I graduated with a PhD in Experimental Psychology
from NYU in 1988.  I lived in Jamaica Queens between 1975 & 1978.  I
lived in Park Slope Brooklyn between 1978 & 1986.  My sister, Diane
Gabias Turner owns a home in Plattsburgh New York.

I have been a University Professor of psychology since September of
1986. I worked for a year at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee,  the
University of Nevada-Reno, the University of Southern Colorado in
Pueblo, & St-Thomas University, in Fredericton New Brunswick Canada.

In 1990, I moved to Kelowna British Columbia Canada, where I have lived
and worked ever since.  I currently work at the University of British
Columbia Okanagan, as an Associate Professor of Psychology.  My field is
perception.

I married Mary Ellen Reihing, now Gabias in January of 1989, and our
wedding reception was held at the National Center for the Blind, in
Baltimore.  We have four children: Joanne (23), Jeffrey (21), Philip
(17) & Elliott (15).

I also have been a Certified, International Independent  Wellness
Consultant with the Nikken Corporation for 14 years.  As Wellness
Consultants, we help people to attain better wellness in five arenas of
life: Body, Mind, Family, Society and Finances. The Finances are
generated for people when they take advantage of Nikken's generous
business opportunity, open to people in 40 countries.  A chronic back
problem and the Nikken business opportunity led me to take a look at
Nikken, that I first heard about through one of my former students.   my
Nikken organization is  developing well in New York City, which is a new
connection that I now have again in New York.  I love New York!!!

I'd be excited to hear from anybody who remembers me, and would like to
get in touch with me.  In Canada, Mary Ellen and I developed the
Canadian Federation of the Blind www.cfb.ca

I wish you all well.  I heard that New York city is in the middle of a
snow storm.  We, in Kelowna, hardly have any snow, and our sidewalks and
streets are dry, with a few occasional patches of ice.

All The Best

Paul Gabias