[New-york-news] support BELL program

Mike Robinson buffnfb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 14:09:42 UTC 2014

> Attention NFB of NY members:
>
> We are ringing bells to raise money!
>
> New York is hosting its first ever NFB BELL (Braille Enrichment for
Literacy and Learning) program this year, and we are seeking the support of
all NFB of NY affiliate members to fundraise for the 2014 Syracuse program
and for expansion to multiple sites in 2015.

> The NFB BELL program is a two-week, nonresidential program for children
ages 4-12 who would benefit from increased Braille instruction in the
summer months.  The program supports learning through engaging and fun
literacy activities and promotes positive attitudes about blindness.  You
can read more about the general program at www.nfb.org/bell and details
about the NY NFB BELL Program at http://brookenash.wix.com/nfbbellprogramnys
.

> The budget for the 2014 NY NFB BELL Program is just under $4,000
($3,691.94 to be exact).  Members who attended the 2013 NFB of NY State
Convention raised just under $700 for the 2014 NY NFB BELL Program.  Grant
funding and business donations will assist as well, but anything you can do
individually to help in this effort will ensure that blind children across
our state will have the opportunity to experience this wonderful program
for years to come.

> There are a few ways you can help:
>
> 1. Download the attached sponsor letter and deliver to business owners in
your area and discuss the goals of the NFB BELL Program and the NFB of NY's
goal to support the 2014 Syracuse program as well as future expansion
throughout the state in 2015.

> 2. Donate!  You can choose from many options: visit www.nfbny.org and
donate online, text to give at 718-514-7950, or mail a personal check made
payable to the NFB of NY (please put BELL program on memo line) to P.O. Box
205666 Sunset Station, Brooklyn, NY 11220.

> 3. Share information about the program/about donating to the program
easily with business owners, family, and friends:
> http://brookenash.wix.com/nfbbellprogramnys
> *ask them to visit the Donation and Fundraising Information link
>
> 4. Look for more news about a Walk-a-thon fundraiser in mid/late July at
Destiny USA (application pending approval) through the NFB of NY list servs.

> Thank you for your time, assistance, and generosity.
>
> We still have a couple of slots for the NY NFB BELL Program's Lunch with
a Blind Leader component; we need anyone who is blind and shares the love
of Braille and nonvisual skills for career and daily living success to
speak to the children and parents from 11:30-12 daily.

314-374-6184 or brooke.nash at gmail.com anytime.