[New-york-news] Bookshare Workshop + AT News Around Town

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Tue Mar 1 16:17:24 UTC 2016

Join us to learn about Bookshare!

Saturday, March 5, 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM

Andrew Heiskell Braille & Talking Book Library Community Room

40 West 20th St

New York, NY 10011

***Registration is always free and always appreciated. Just email
ChanceyFleet at nypl.org or leave a message at (212) 621-0627. If you can’t
come in person, RSVP by email at least three hours before the event begins,
and we’ll send you a link to join us by Google Hangout.***

Are you a patron who is blind, visually impaired, or have a print
disability? Do you want ready access to the latest titles, hot bestsellers,
and must-reads

in a variety of languages using braille, large print, or screen reader
technology? Bookshare has partnered up with the New York Public Library to
provide

free memberships to Bookshare’s ever-expanding collection of 370,000 titles
to any Andrew Heiskell or NYPL patron with a print-reading disability. Join

us at this workshop to learn more about this exciting opportunity, and to
sign up.

Accessible Tech Around Town

***If you’re doing something exciting and free of charge in the accessible
technology space, let us know and we may post it at the bottom of our event
announcements. NYPL doesn’t endorse what’s in this section; think of it as
the accessible version of a library bulletin board.***

Have you ever been curious about learning how to code? Do you use a screen
reader? The NYU Ability Project is working with the Processing Foundation
to research the best ways to teach and learn code with a screen reader.
Processing is a code language taught to students that are new to coding and
a lot of effort is put into making it accessible to beginners. Currently,
the website, tutorials and tools to code in Processing are not accessible
to people that use screen readers. We have been given an

exciting opportunity to rethink how it could be made accessible and we want
to hear from YOU!

If you are interested, please contact Claire Kearney-Volpe at

claire.kv at nyu.edu

Please circulate widely!

“Designing for the Future”

           9th Annual Conference on Employment and

           Visual Impairment: Policy & Practice

April 8, 2016

Register now – space is limited!

Keynote: Chen Guangcheng, “Human Rights and Disability

                Advocate,” author of “The Barefoot Lawyer”

Where: Baruch College Conference Center, 14th Floor

            55 Lexington Avenue, corner of 24th Street

            New York, NY 10010

Registration:

·       Online:

http://www.baruch.edu/ccvip

·       By phone: Call Blindline toll free number:

888-625-1616

Attendants are available to answer your

call Monday, Wednesday and Thursday

from 10am-4pm

Cost: Free admission includes breakfast, lunch &
refreshments

Sponsored by: Computer Center for Visually Impaired People and the School
of Public Affairs, Baruch College, CUNY; the New York State Commission for
the Blind; Rosicki, Rosicki & Associates; MetLife; Hidden City Café;
Interpublic; Joelson Foundation; presented in collaboration with the
Metropolitan Placement Consortium

More Information: Call

646-312-1420

 or email:

ccvipconference at baruch.cuny.edu

All participants including speakers, moderators, vendors, CCVIP Staff,
CCVIP Board Members, Planning Committee members, and invited guests must
register.

***Subscription Info***

To join this list, send an email to HeiskellTech+Subscribe at googlegroups.com
with the subject line “Subscribe”.