[New-york-news] Monthly New York State President's Message

president at nfbny.org president at nfbny.org
Wed Jan 17 20:08:52 UTC 2018

New York State President's Message

January 2018

Greetings;

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and Angie and I wish everyone
the best for 2018.

This is the first issue of the President's message for New York.  I plan to
send this to all members through the NEW-YORK-NEWS email list
(www.nfbnet.org <http://www.nfbnet.org>  ) as well as our Facebook page
https://m.facebook.com/National-Federation-of-the-Blind-of-New-York-State-15
7660447598953/ on a monthly basis.  It is important for everyone to know
what the state affiliate has been up to and what plans are made for the
future.  Look for the president's message during the second week of each
month to learn what is happening with our NYSNFB.

It has been a busy time for me since election to the office of President of
our affiliate.  Since the convention we have made several changes in the way
the state affiliate is managed . Mostly administrative procedures . and how
funds are handled.  These changes were necessary to secure the future of our
state organization and allow the transparency I have promised.

We are holding monthly Board of Director meetings to keep connected and
ensure everyone knows what is happening, as well as to get input from the
Board on decisions affecting our organization.  If you have any thoughts or
want to contact the executive board, their email addresses are listed at the
end of this letter.

Going forward we will be using a funding request system.  Anyone requesting
funds from the state for federation business will be required to submit a
funding request prior to the event and by a set deadline.  These requests
will be reviewed by the executive board and you will be notified of the
results.  If you submit a request, please review the agreement carefully
before submitting the form as it contains important information.

Prior to the Washington Seminar, I will be traveling to our national center
in Baltimore for a meeting of the affiliate presidents.  This will be a
great opportunity for me to meet and network with new and experienced state
Presidents and learn more about the operation of our state.  I look forward
to coming back and sharing what I learn.

Washington Seminar is fast approaching.  To those who have committed to
participating in this endeavor, Thank you.  The seminar is an important
vehicle for us to make our voices heard by our members of the House of
Representatives and Senators.

If you aren't participating in the Washington Seminar, there is still an
important opportunity for you to interact with your elected officials.  That
would be our Albany Seminar.  This very worthwhile event will take place
from March 4th through 6th, obviously, in Albany.  We will be staying at the
Radisson Albany Hotel, 205 Wolf Road, Albany.  Rooms are $99 per night and
reservations can be made through me or the Brooklyn affiliate office.  We
will meet at 6:00 pm  on the 4th and 5th for a banquet-style dinner meeting
both nights.  The cost of the dinner will be $30/each night and the menu
choices and issues will be announced shortly.  If you are interested, please
let me know as soon as possible so we can start planning.  If you have ever
considered helping with educating our Assembly people and state Senators,
this would be your opportunity.  The Albany Seminar is a great experience
and a key part of what your NFB does.  Funding requests are due by February
16th.

We have contracted to have advertisements printed on pharmacy bags used at
King's Pharmacy, 1619 3rd Avenue in New York City.  The ads are promoting
the BELL Academy and direct patrons to our web page, www.nfbny.org/bell
<http://www.nfbny.org/bell>  where they can learn more and (hopefully)
donate to the program.  Of course, this link is open to anyone who would
like to support the very worthwhile BELL Academy.

Speaking of support, The New York Parents of Blind Children will be hosting
the 5th Annual Tom Needham/Rick Welch Ice Hockey Fundraiser on March 24th,
2018 at 6:00 pm.  This is a great opportunity to raise funds for our POBC
and publicize the division and NFB.  The event will take place at the
Aviator Sports and Events Center, 3159 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn, NY.  Visit
their Facebook page for information,
(https://www.facebook.com/events/136041373774308/?ti=icl)

The division is collecting donations to help defray the cost of their grand
prize, A video game console and gift card.  If you would like to donate you
can visit this link, http://nfbny.org/node/153.  Tommy would be happy to
answer any questions.  He can be reached at (347) 893-1938 and e-mail is
Returnofsugaz at gmail.com <mailto:Returnofsugaz at gmail.com> .

I would like to offer an opportunity to connect with our members and am
going to try something.  On February 11 at 7:00, I would like to have a
discussion with anyone interested in fundraising.  We will discuss possible
state fundraisers as well as share ideas for chapters to raise money.  The
call-in number is 1-218-339-4932, Access code 77741#.  If you have any ideas
or would like to help with state fundraising or want to get ideas for your
chapter, join us and we can brainstorm.

Well, that's where we stand at the moment.  As always, if you have any
questions or comments, feel free to contact me at 716-222-3632 or the below
email address.  The National Federation of the Blind of New York is OUR
affiliate and I value everyone's input.

Sincerely,

Mike

Mike Robinson, President                president at nfbny.org
<mailto:president at nfbny.org>

Chancey Fleet, Vice-president        vice.president at nfbny.org
<mailto:vice.president at nfbny.org>

Cayte Mendez, 2nd V.P.                    second.vp at nfbny.org
<mailto:second.vp at nfbny.org>

Lucy Marr, Secretary                        secretary at nfbny.org
<mailto:secretary at nfbny.org>

Kate Carroll, treasurer                      treasurer at nfbny.org
<mailto:treasurer at nfbny.org>

UPCOMING DATES

          January 29 - 31, 2018 Washington Seminar

          February 11, 2018        Affiliate fundraising conference call

          March 4 - 6, 2018         Albany Seminar

          March 24, 2018             5th Annual Tom Needham and Rick Welch
Ice Hockey Fundraiser

 <http://www.nfbny.org/>