[New-york-news] Happenings in Rochester NY Open to Others Across New York

Heather Bird heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 23:56:45 UTC 2018

Hello,

1.       Our Rochester Chapter of the NFBNY will be holding a Red Cross CPR,
First Aid, and EEDs certification. It will take place on a Sunday, late in
April, or early in May, and it is a 6 hour course. It will be at least $90
per person. It may be a little more, as we have to cover a $250 instructors’
fee, some of which will come out of the NFB of Rochester treasury, some of
which will come out of the RABA treasury, and some of which will be tacked
on to the individual cost of the course. The more people sign up, the more
defuse the cost is. If you live near Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse,
especially, or are willing to travel to Rochester, please email me at
heather.l.bird at gmail.com <mailto:heather.l.bird at gmail.com>  ASAP and let me
know.

2.       Our chapter’s public service committee has arranged for us to
participate in the Cure Childhood Cancer 5K Fun Walk and Run, on Saturday,
April 27th. Again, if anyone living relatively near to Rochester would like
to come and join us, it would be great for them to see as many blind runners
and walkers out there as possible. Sighted runners can be found to run with
you, with a tether or while you work your guide. Just let me know as you are
interested. Registration prior to the 31st of March is $15, between April
1st and the 26th is $20, registration on race day is $25.

3.       We are in the very beginning planning stages for our summer party,
to which everyone and anyone in New York state is welcome. However, we need
to know all relevant dates that might conflict. It will be on a Saturday or
Sunday, so it will not conflict with the BELL program. It will be in late
July or in August, so it will not conflict with national, and it will not
conflict with the Beep Baseball World Series, so please let us know if there
are any chapter, affiliate, or division events with which we need to avoid
conflicting.

Heather Bird

"They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't
a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a
Protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up." -
Martin Niemöller

In our diverse society we must never fail to speak up in the face of Human
Rights violations lest we be the next targets of such violations.