[New-york-news] Washington Seminar

Christian Minkler chrisminkler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 18:43:11 UTC 2019

For anyone from New York State who will be attending the Washington Seminar,
one of the issues that we will be advocating for is the Access Technology
Affordability Act.  If passed, it would give a  tax refund to blind
Americans for the purchase of access technology.  This legislation was
introduced in 2017, which was the 115th Congress.  In the Senate, the bill
was S732.  It was sponsored by Senator John Boozman, a Republican from
Arkansas.  It had 13 co-sponsors in the Senate.  Neither Senator from New
York was a co-sponsor.  In the House of Representatives, the bill was
HR1734, also introduced in 2017.  It was sponsored by Representative David
Young, a Republican from Iowa.  It had 87 co-sponsors in the House.  The
co-sponsors from New York were:  Adriano Espaillat, John Faso, Peter King
and Grace Meng.  Representative Faso was not re-elected in November, 2018.
We are now at the beginning of the 116th Congress.  For those members of our
affiliate who will have meetings in the offices of Representatives
Espaillat, King and Meng, I urge you to remind them or their staff members
that they sponsored this legislation in the 115th Congress.  There is a good
chance that if they co-sponsored a particular bill in the past, that they
will co-sponsor it again.  The sponsor of HR 1734, Representative David
Young, was not re-elected in 2018.  So, this legislation will need a new
sponsor in the House.  The fact sheets for the Washington Seminar are
available on nfb.org.    Chris Minkler.