[New-York-News] Please Distribute to any potentially interested individuals, professionals or famiilies of blind children in the Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse area

heather.l.bird at gmail.com heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 14:44:23 UTC 2019

Boating, Biking, and Barbecue with the NFB of Rochester.

Come and join us for tandem cycling, canoeing and kayaking on Sunday

August 11th from 12:00 P.M. until 4:00 P.M. at Perinton Park, 99

O’Connor Road. , We will have delicious barbecue catered by Sticky

Lips, fantastic gourmet cupcakes from Sinful Sweets, our first ever

annual cooking contest, featuring pasta salads, run Master Chef style,

raffles, 50-50, and an opportunity to soak the officers of the NFB of

Rochester. Want to ride a tandem bike but don’t have the funds or the

space to own one? Come and ride with a friend, family member or

volunteer down the canal path. Never been given the opportunity as a

blind person to independently pilot a water craft, and want to try it?

We will have single kayaks, with sighted volunteers at the docks to

give guidance, tandem kayaks in which you can paddle with a sighted,

 or blind, friend or family member, as well as a canoe for larger

groups. Helmets and life jackets are available in smaller sizes, so

children are welcome to attend and participate. Want to work your

guide dog along the canal path and listen to the birds, the water, and

enjoy an approx. 15 to 20 minute walk? Go ahead, you will be in good

company with other walkers, bikers and listen for your friends to pass by on
the water.

There will be two dog life jackets available if you would like to

bring your guide dog in the boat with you, (not recommended unless you know

from prior experience how your dog reacts to such transportation) or

place your guide dog in guide dog daycare run by the New York Association of

Guide Dog Users while enjoying the bikes or boats, or both. Think

Heather (president) talks a bit too much? Ever get a little frustrated

> with Zack (treasurer)? Want to break through Justin’s (vice president)

> professional façade? Or, want to see if you can make Candice

(secretary) shriek? Well, you can pay a small fee, load up a water

blaster with ice water and let any one of our chapter officers have

it, or soak all four, for a wet, and chilly group discount. Even

 better? We’ve got the state affiliate president Mike Robinson, and

also the presidents of the New York Parents of Blind Children, the New

York Association of Blind Students, and the New York Association of

Guide Dog Users, for you to meet, or
 soak with ice water, or both. We

have some neat raffle baskets lined up along with our 50-50, and some free
games as well.

Tickets are $25 for adults, $10 for children, and only $10 for our

Canal Pals. Tickets include, ribs, BBQ bone-in chicken, salt potatoes

and BBQ beans, a gourmet cupcake, a range of beverages, and many

delicious cold sides such as potato salad, fruit salad, macaroni

> salad, and yes, you get to sample the pasta salads from our

contestants as well. The tandem bicycling, and kayaking/canoeing is

also included in the ticket price, and you don’t have to choose, you

may do both activities if you wish.

Biking and boating will take place between 12:00 and 2:00. The cooking

contest will be judged at 1:45 and lunch served at 2:00. We will be in

the Perinton Shelter across the traffic circle from the canal. Please

RSVP to Heather Bird (585) 739-6473,  <mailto:heather.L.bird at gmail.com>
heather.L.bird at gmail.com

< <mailto:heather.L.bird at gmail.com> mailto:heather.L.bird at gmail.com>  by
August 1st. In your RSVP please

indicate whether you will be bringing anyone else, (highly encouraged)

and whether you would like to bike, or boat, neither, or, both.