[New-York-News] FW: Niagara Frontier Radio Reading is Online!

NFBNYS Office office at nfbny.org
Wed Aug 5 19:41:19 UTC 2020

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Mike Benzin
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 9:12 AM
To: Mike Benzin
Subject: Niagara Frontier Radio Reading is Online!

As one of our friends and partners in serving people who are blind or visually disabled, we wanted to share our big announcement with you first.

Tomorrow, July 31, will be the Niagara Frontier Radio Reading Service's formal debut of it's new online Podcasts & Streaming Initiative!

Since our founding in 1987 we have depended on a private subcarrier radio frequency to carry our programs to Listeners, who heard them on radio receivers we loaned them.  Many of them through referrals from your agency.  Our capacity to serve the community has always been limited by the number of radios we had available to loan.  And until very recently, those radios cost more than $100 each.  At our peak we never really saw much more than 500 listeners at a time.

But our new Podcasts & Streaming Initiative changes that.  Any Listener can listen to almost any program - including our live feed - from anywhere, on any Internet-connected device.  This includes smart phones and smart speakers, tablets, laptops and desktops.  That opens up our service to many of the estimated 20,000 people in WNY who are blind or have low vision, as well as the 40,000 who have cognitive impairment or print disability that makes holding a newspaper or turning a page difficult or impossible.

Thank you for being a partner and a key contributor in support of our Listeners!  We'll be sharing updated brochures for your use in referring other new Listeners to the service as soon as they are completed.

Attached is a copy of the news release we're sharing with local media.  Our new website should go live online sometime today.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.  Thanks again!

Mike

Michael Benzin
Niagara Frontier Radio Reading Service
A WNY Independent Living Affiliate
(716) 821-5555 Office, (716) 316-1090 Cell