[New-York-News] Blind Person's Right to Parent Act

Mike Robinson president at nfbny.org
Sat Feb 1 20:55:04 UTC 2020

Hi All:

It is possible that the Blind Persons' Right to Parent Act will come before
a meeting of the Assembly Judiciary Committee as early as Tuesday, February
11. We need letters from blind parents urging the Committee to consider our
bill, and report it out favorably so that it can go to the full Assembly for
a vote.

I suggest your letter address each of the following points:

1) That you are writing in support of A 1721, The Blind Persons' Right to
Parent Act.

2) Describe your personal background, that you are a blind parent of (number
of children).

3) Give examples of alternative nonvisual techniques you use in raising your
children.

4) Give examples, if any, of times your competence has been questioned:
medical professionals; social workers; school teachers; family members.

5) Indicate if you have been involved in any custody or visitation
proceedings in which your blindness was raised as a reason for you not to
have custody or visitation. Describe what occurred. For how long were you
separated from your child or children, or for how long was your visitation
restricted or limited?

6) Address other issues not discussed above.

7) State that this legislation will protect you and other blind parents from
occurrences such as the incidents described above.

8) Conclusion: Ask the Committee to support and help get this legislation
passed. Thank them and provide your contact information.

Please feel free to add anything I have not thought of. You do not have to
follow this model, but I think it will be helpful. Don't worry if you
believe you are not a good writer. Writing ability is not a requirement for
being a competent parent.

One or more of the parents in our affiliate will post their letters, if they
have not already done so. Since the Judiciary Committee may consider this
legislation as early as Tuesday, February 11, we need to work quickly.

Below I have provided the email and snail mail addresses to which your
letters should be sent. Email is preferable, but snail mail is fine.

If we can get this bill through the Judiciary Committee, our chances of
getting it passed and signed into law are very good. Thank you all for your
work on this. We can get it done!

Letters should be sent either by email:

president at nfbny.org <mailto:president at nfbny.org>

or by mail: NFBNYS, 2175 Sheridan Drive, Buffalo, NY 14223.

Legislation Committee

Ray Wayne, Chair

Mike Robinson, President

National Federation of the Blind of New York State, Inc.

2175 Sheridan Drive

Buffalo, New York 14223

716-222-3632

716-222-3NFB

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
blindness is not what holds you back."