[New-York-News] Recipes for Braille Monitor

Mike Robinson president at nfbny.org
Tue Jan 7 16:17:19 UTC 2020

Please see the below message from Gary Wunder, Editor of the Braille Monitor.

Greetings to a few of you who will soon be asked for recipes for the Braille Monitor, the first being New York. What do we want? We want about six recipes from each state. They can be something particular to your geographic area, a favorite that is prepared for affiliate events, or favorites that your members prepare for their families and friends. Besides from three to six recipes, we need a short one or two sentence biography of those whose submissions you send. “Gary Wunder is the father of four, a former president of the NFB of Missouri, and currently edits the Braille Monitor.” “Jill Smith is a freshman at the college of William and Mary and prepares these snacks for her sorority sisters.”

Now comes the hardest part. I would like a photo from those who submit. The photos do a lot to enhance our print edition and make real these people who do the impossible—cook tremendous taste treats. The recipes are more than a start on a cookbook. They show that we cook and take care of ourselves, and this can be a major source of encouragement for the blind and a source of education for those who see. Before leaving the subject of photos, let me say a few words about them. Grabbing a photo from Facebook will not meet our needs. To save computer space Facebook scales down the pictures it displays. We need high resolution photographs. Anything taken with a modern iPhone or android equivalent will work. Any modern digital camera above five megapixels will do very well. Sometimes people take high-resolution pictures but are then fooled into scaling them back when the email program offers to shrink them in order to save time and bandwidth. Please make sure that you use the “original size” option when sending. Please don’t discount photographs. They are meaningful and provide credibility.

Since we use the contributions of one state each month, you can easily figure out where you fall. I will try to follow up, but many of you are surprised when it is your month, so please act on this warning and make it easy for all of us.

Happy New Year to all,

Gary

Please forward recipes to me at president at nfbny.org <mailto:president at nfbny.org>  ASAP

Gary Wunder

Editor, Braille Monitor

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, extension 2360 |  <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org> gwunder at nfb.org

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>