[New-York-News] See you in the cloud: announcing new remote-only programs for this week

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Sun Mar 15 17:47:35 UTC 2020

Dear patrons and friends,

Although our physical locations are closed through the end of March, we're
excited to bring you a first week of remote-only programs. You can
participate online or by phone in workshops about online news and
accessible gaming, and exploring data visualizations when you have low or
no vision. We'll finish out the week with a book discussion. Please see
below for the full schedule. To register for any of these, please email me
at ChanceyFleet at nypl.org or call my Google Voice number, 347.632.8383, and
I'll send you instructions for joining us.

Feel free to share this message with your networks: in these difficult
times, we can still build community and learn together.

Navigating the News with Accessibility in Mind Tuesday March 17, 1;00 –
2:30 PM

This remote-only discussion group is all about finding news and information
online, with accessibility in mind. Here's what we'll cover:

• Making the news easier to read: how reader views, adblockers and other
tools can help you declutter your reading

• Where to find reliable news, from local to global; how to decide whether
you're reading a credible source

• How to get news and info with simpler tech: conversational assistants,
and NFB-Newsline online and by phone
Accessible Gaming

Wednesday March 18, 2:00 – 3:30 PM

This remote-only discussion group is all about accessible gaming. Join us
to hear about games for desktop and mobile that work for assistive
technology users. Find out about all kinds of games including action,
arcade, text adventure, word games and more. We'll also make time for you
to share your own favorites.
Book Discussion -  Blind Rage: Letters to Helen Keller Saturday March 21,
2:00 – 3:30 PM

This remote-only book discussion will explore Blind Rage: Letters to Helen
Keller, by Georgina Kleege. This book is DB63900 on BARD, and you'll also
find it on Bookshare. This is a bold book unlike anything else you will
have read about Helen Keller. Kleege's letters, written to an imagined
Keller decades after her death, explore Keller's legacy and Kleege's
complex reaction to it: her education and work, the known and indistinct
facts of her personal life, and how her story and image have been curated,
sanitized and appropriated.

See you in the cloud!

--
Chancey S. Fleet