[New-York-News] ** Action required by Friday June 18th **

president at nfbny.org president at nfbny.org
Thu Jun 10 23:35:19 UTC 2021

PLEASE SHARE!

Editor: (Of course,, We need letters of support from everyone for this very
important legislation)

Hi All:

The Blind Persons' Right to Parent Act has passed in both the Assembly and
the Senate. But our work is not finished. It still requires Governor Cuomo's
signature in order to become law. Assemblywoman Simon's staff has asked that
we pull together documents in support of this legislation. Most of all, we
need letters from blind parents describing their experiences, and why this
law is vitally important. These letters can be sent to president at nfbny.org
<mailto:president at nfbny.org>  or mailed to 2175 Sheridan Drive, Buffalo, New
York 14223

I suggest your letter address each of the following points:

1) That you are writing in support of A 2113 and S 4407, The Blind Persons'
Right to Parent Act.

2) Describe your personal background, that you are a blind parent of (number
of children).

3) Give examples of alternative nonvisual techniques you use in raising your
children.

4) Give examples, if any, of times your competence has been questioned:
medical professionals; social workers; school teachers; family members.

5) Indicate if you have been involved in any custody or visitation
proceedings in which your blindness was raised as a reason for you not to
have custody or visitation. Describe what occurred. For how long were you
separated from your child or children, or for how long was your visitation
restricted or limited?

6) Address other issues not discussed above.

7) State that this legislation will protect you and other blind parents from
occurrences such as the incidents described above.

Conclusion: Ask the Governor to sign this vital legislation. Thank him and
provide your contact information.

Please feel free to add anything I have not thought of. You do not have to
follow this model, but I think it will be helpful. Don't worry if you
believe you are not a good writer. Writing ability is not a requirement for
being a competent parent.

One or more of the parents in our affiliate will post their letters, if they
have not already done so.

Your letters should go to Mike Robinson, email president at nfbny.org
<mailto:president at nfbny.org>

or National Federation of the Blind of New York State, 2175 Sheridan Drive,
Buffalo, New York 14223. Email is preferable, but snail mail is fine. We
need to get this done by next Friday, June 18 so we can send a complete
electronic packet to Assemblywoman Simon's office. That office will then
forward it to Governor Cuomo's office.

Thank you all for your work on this. We can get it done!

Legislation Committee

Ray Wayne, Chair