[New-York-News] Coming up Thursday In Person: Braille and Graphics Literacy for Education, Arts and Culture

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Tue Oct 19 16:45:12 UTC 2021

Folks,
Please help this message travel to those students, professionals and
interested individuals who might be interested in the in-person opportunity
to check out three distinctive, emerging Braille and graphics technologies
hands-on at the library this Thursday. (Zoom participation can be provided
for those who need it, but the hands-on component here is hard to
overstate). Everyone in our venue will be masked, and we'll have hand
sanitizer available for tactile explorers.

The AT Crowd: Braille and Graphics EditionThursday October 21, 5:00 to 6:45
PM Eastern

In person at the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library’s
Community Room.

Please rsvp by calling (212) 206-5400 extension 3, or emailing:
ChanceyFleet at Nypl.org

We’re located at 40 West 20th St | New York, NY 10011

Note: Please let us know if you’d prefer to join via Zoom. This event is
intentionally hands-on and interactive, but we can Zoom in participants
whose accessibility needs include remote attendance.

We’re bringing back our AT crowd series, where developers and library
patrons meet to explore emerging accessible technologies, network and
discuss the priorities, Preferences and best practices in our community.
This Thursday, we’ll be joined by leaders from three companies who have
recently debuted digital Braille products, using two very different
approaches.

Blind and visually impaired people, tactile readers, and allies are
encouraged to attend this discussion and hands-on demo.

The T3 is a large-format talking Android tablet that facilitates Braille
and tactile literacy education, tactile exploration with rich audio
description and more through its use of text-to-speech information,
guidance and games using Braille and tactile graphics overlays.

Bonocle, a one-cell digital Braille device equipped with Bluetooth and
various sensors,  is a braille entertainment platform designed for the
blind community. it allows users to learn, get work done and play immersive
games with their friends and family in a unique way along with various
other functionalities.

The Dot Kiosk includes a high-contrast touchscreen, text-to-speech audio, a
refreshable tactile graphics tablet, and a 20-cell Braille display. It’s
designed to offer information, images and maps in public places like
museums and cultural institutions. Dot, Inc also develops the 4-cell
digital Braille DOT Watch and the DOT Pad for tactile graphics.

--
Chancey S. Fleet
Assistive Technology Coordinator