[New-York-News] NFB NY Convention ** your immediate attention is required **

president at nfbny.org president at nfbny.org
Sat Oct 1 23:53:18 UTC 2022

Due to circumstances completely out of our control, we must have a short
window to register for convention.  The deadline is October 7th.

You Are Cordially Invited to Attend

The 66th Convention of the National Federation of the Blind

of New York State

"Blind SWAG"

The National Federation of the Blind of New York State will hold its
sixty-sixth annual convention in Buffalo, from October 21-23, 2022. Please
join us as we strive to build a network of expertise and encouragement among
blind New Yorkers and work together to make a positive difference in the
lives of blind people across New York State.

Who Are We?

The NFB of NYS is an organization of blind and low vision New Yorkers who
believe that, with the appropriate training, attitude, and opportunities,
blind people can live the lives we want.  NFB of NYS brings blind people
together to support and learn from one another and to celebrate our
achievements as we work together to improve the lives of the blind of New
York.

Our Convention Agenda

It is our pleasure to welcome Norma Crosby, Treasurer of the National
Federation of the Blind, Texas Affiliate President, and member of the
National Board of Directors.  We will be privileged to hear her share
information about the ongoing work of the Federation nationwide.

The theme of this year's convention will be "Blind SWAG".  Our speakers and
panel discussions will highlight ideas and tools that will allow us to "Live
the Lives We Want" as individuals and as an organization.  We hope everyone
will come away from the Convention feeling refreshed and motivated to take
the next steps on our personal journeys and to advance the work of the
Federation in each of our communities.

>From Sunday, October 17, through Wednesday, October 19, our divisions and
committees will meet in the evenings via Zoom in order to discuss issues
pertinent to seniors, students, diabetics, blind parents, guide dog users,
and more.  These meetings are interactive and open to all convention
attendees, so please join us!

On Friday, we will host a town-hall style meeting with Julie Hovey,
Associate Commissioner of the New York State Commission for the Blind.
Everyone is also welcome to attend our board meeting where, among other
things, the winners of our 2022 NFB of NYS scholarships will introduce
themselves.  We are also planning an O & M Checkup.  You will have an
opportunity to take a walk with an Orientation and Mobility Instructor to
get tips, have your mobility questions answered, and hopefully correct any
unproductive O&M habits you may have developed.  Convention attendees are
encouraged to join our exhibitor showcase where the latest technology will
be discussed and information pertinent to our community will be shared by
our sponsors.  Join us to support those who support us!

All day Saturday the general sessions of the convention will provide us with
the opportunity to hear presentations on topics that are important to blind
people across New York and the nation.

The excitement will continue during our Saturday Evening banquet, with an
address by our keynote speaker Norma Crosby, along with raffles and door
prize giveaways.  The banquet will come to a dramatic close with the
presentation of our 2022 NFB of NYS scholarships and affiliate award
presentations.

On Sunday morning we will hold our annual business meeting to chart our
course for the coming year. We will also consider the resolutions that the
Convention deems vital for our future as we review and update our
organization's policy goals. We will hear Chapter and Division reports from
around the State.

We will then return to our daily routines, revitalized and ready to live the
lives we want, and to share our experiences and learning with other blind
members of our communities.

COVID Procedures

The health and safety of our members and visitors is of deepest importance
to the National Federation of the Blind of New York State. Please see below
for a detailed outline of our health and safety procedures for this year's
convention.  While we acknowledge that in many venues Covid protocols have
been relaxed over the past few months, we know that as an organization we
have a significant incidence of members with intersecting health conditions
that may cause them to be more at risk in a crowded convention setting.
Participants in our in-person convention must agree to comply with the
below-stated health and safety procedures upon registration.  Those who
would prefer not to abide by these safety protocols are welcome to join us
for the streamed content from our convention, and for some limited
interactive hybrid participation opportunities.

We recommend that all those planning to travel to the in-person convention
secure and take a Covid test within 48 hours before leaving  home to travel
to Buffalo.  In the event of a positive test, please do not come to the
convention in person.  Instead, contact the affiliate president, Mike
Robinson, at (716-222-3632), so that your registration can be modified to a
hybrid registration.  Those with Covid  are welcome to attend our convention
virtually via the hybrid and streaming option.

All those attending the convention in person will be required to take an
on-site Covid test and to be masked at all times unless actively eating,
drinking, or presenting.  On-site Covid testing will be administered by a
nurse on Thursday, October 20 from 5:00 pm until 9:00 pm and Friday October
21stfrom 7:00 am until 10:00 am.  Please see the agenda for the on-site
testing location.  If arriving after 10:00 am Friday, please find a member
of the executive board for instructions on how to get tested.  Those testing
negative on-site will be given a wristband which must be worn at ALL
convention functions. There will be affiliate members checking for wrist
bands throughout the weekend.

Those testing positive on-site will not receive a wristband and will be
advised to return to their hotel room immediately so as to protect the
health of others.  Those finding themselves in this situation will not be
allowed to participate in convention events in person, again, for the safety
of others, but will be welcome to attend virtually from their hotel room.
Again, we urge everyone to test before leaving home, to lessen the
possibility of traveling while already infected with Covid.  The NFB of NYS
will not be responsible for any costs incurred as a result of a positive
on-site Covid test.

As noted above, all in-person participants are required to properly wear a
mask at all times unless eating, drinking, or presenting.  Masks will not be
provided, so all attendees are encouraged to bring an adequate supply for
the weekend.

Working together we can keep each other safe, and we thank all in-person
registrants and attendees in advance for their cooperation.

Registration

Registration for this year's convention can be made through the NFB of NYS
office, by visiting  <http://www.nfbny.org/conventions/register> nfbny.org
and completing our online registration form, or by filling out the attached
registration form and returning it to the affiliate office.  This year's
registration is $15.00.  Registration will entitle you to chances for our
door prizes, allow for timely updates of convention announcements, and will
help offset the costs of the convention.  We also are offering a virtual
component to our conference this year.  You may register in the same manner
as above and the registration fee will be the same.  You will be able to
participate in discussions and be eligible for door prizes.

Using the same registration form, you will also be able to purchase your
tickets for a group of drawings.  Each drawing will be for a chance to win
one of our many gift card prizes.  Every ticket you buy for $10 (or 3/$25)
gives you one chance for each of at least 8 drawings.  That's 8 chances, or
more, to win with each $10 ticket!

Please call the office at 716-222-3632 with any questions regarding this
year's convention.

Our convention is shaping up to be a tremendous event.  Join us to share in
the excitement!  I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Mike Robinson

President, NFB of New York State