[New-York-News] Agenda Announcements

president at nfbny.org president at nfbny.org
Sun Oct 16 17:16:34 UTC 2022

The full agenda for next weekend will be sent shortly.

The phone number for the hotel if you need shuttle service from the airport
or Depew train station is
<https://www.google.com/search?q=Buffalo+Airport+Hotel&ludocid=1789814276231
4510277&gsas=1&lsig=AB86z5Ulhfeqiwc6ul1_cGhc5pht&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjVk6y9n-X6A
hUaEFkFHfJpB_sQoAJ6BAgIEAc&biw=1219&bih=713&dpr=1.5> (716) 634-6969

Breakfast will be provided by the hotel in the restaurant both Saturday and
Sunday mornings.  There is also a Denny's across the parking lot.  If you go
out the front doors and go to the left.

National Federation of the Blind of New York State

66th Annual Convention

October 16 - 23, 2022

This year's Theme: "Blind Swag"

The NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB One Minute Message

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.

The NFB Brand Promise

Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into
reality.

The NFB Tag Line

Live the Life You Want

Thank You to our 2021 Sponsor

         Platinum Sponsors

*	New York State Commission for the Blind
*	NFB NEWSLINE

Silver Sponsor

*	Election Systems & Software

Bronze Sponsors

*	4Blind
*	VISIONS

Our National Representative

The National Federation of the Blind of New York State is proud to welcome
Norma Crosby.

Norma Beathard was born on January 25, 1956, in Conroe, Texas.

Norma found the National Federation of the Blind and became an active member
in 1983. By 1985 she was living in Houston, and she was an important part of
the National Federation of the Blind of Texas leadership. She didn't hold
elective office in the Federation, but she worked hard to help the affiliate
president and other leaders to carry out the organization's mission. She
became president of the Houston Chapter in 1989, and she continued in that
role for eight years.

When Norma joined the Federation, she met Glenn Crosby. Glenn was serving as
president of the National Federation of the Blind of Texas, and as the two
worked closely together, a personal relationship developed. They were
married on April 15, 1989.  Glenn and Norma have 4 children and are the
proud grandparents of seven grandchildren, ranging in age from three to
twenty.

In 2012, Norma was chosen to serve as the first president of the Lone Star
Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Texas. Then, at the
affiliate's 2014 convention, she was elected to serve as the state
president. While Norma believes strongly that it is not necessary to hold an
office in order to be an effective leader, she is honored to serve as both
the president of the  <https://nfb.org/about-us/state-affiliates/texas> NFB
of Texas and, since her election at the 2015 National Convention, as a
member of the organization's national board of directors as well as National
Treasurer.

Registration

Registration can be done up until Friday October 21st at midnight.  You may
register at  <https://nfbny.org/convention/register> Convention Registration
| National Federation of the Blind of New York (nfbny.org) All who
registered will have their name placed for drawings of door prizes on
Saturday, October 22nd & Sunday, October 23rd. When you register, you may
also purchase tickets for our Gift Card Drawing to be held at the banquet.

Door Prizes

During the General Sessions and Banquet door prizes will be drawn. You must
be present to win! If your name is drawn, raise your hand and we'll
acknowledge your receipt of a prize. To raise your hand virtually: if dialed
in, press *9; if on a windows computer, press ALT + Y; or, if on a Mac,
press Option + Y. Door prizes will be mailed at the conclusion of the
convention.  In person, Kindly stand until you receive your prize.

Affiliate Fundraiser

We are selling chances to win one of at least 8 gift cards for a variety of
state-wide or national companies. Chances are $10 each or 3/$25. Drawing
will be held during the Banquet on Sunday afternoon. Tickets can be
purchased at  <http://www.nfbny.org/raffle> nfbny.org/raffle. Tickets for a
chance to win a $100 Independence Market Gift Certificate can also be
purchased at  <https://nfbny.org/node/193> https://nfbny.org/node/193.
Proceeds from this drawing will benefit the New York State Chapter-at-Large.

Resolutions

NFB policy, at the state and national level, is made by writing resolutions,
discussing them in committee, and passing them to the general membership for
a final vote. Any NFBNY member can submit a resolution for consideration by
the convention of the NFB of New York, and any interested member may join
the resolutions committee. If you have an idea for a resolution but need
some support in formatting it correctly, or if you have questions about the
process, please contact Resolutions Chair Chancey Fleet at
<mailto:chancey.fleet at gmail.com> chancey.fleet at gmail.com.

Zoom Information

Accessing the Zoom Platform

Those wishing to join the convention via Zoom can do so in one of three
ways:

*	By using the Windows or macOS desktop application, found at
<http://www.zoom.us> zoom.us
*	By using the mobile app found in the Apple App Store or Google Play
Store
*	By dialing in to the provided phone number and using the Meeting ID
and Password given. *Please note: Make sure to dial the local number to
ensure you will not be charged long distance fees.

Code of Conduct

Please note, the NFB's code of conduct will be in effect during this event.
Have questions?  Contact any member of the board.

About Us

The National Federation of the Blind Of New York knows that blindness is not
the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

For more information about the National Federation of the Blind of New York,
visit our website at  <http://www.nfbny.org> nfbny.org, or call us at
716-222-3632.

NFB-NEWSLINE

NFB-NEWSLINE provides access to hundreds of general and special interest
publications such as newspapers, magazines, TV listings, retail ads, and job
search platforms. It was proudly developed and maintained by the National
Federation of the Blind. NFB-NEWSLINE is made available to New Yorkers who
are blind or have other print-related disabilities through funds provided by
the New York State Commission for the Blind and the NY Legislature.

Newsline content can be accessed via a traditional landline telephone, a
mobile telephone, on Amazon Alexa devices using the National Federation
skill, with the NEWSLINE Smartphone app, by email, and on the web.

During the 2022 New York State NFB Convention, your Newsline team will be
available to provide tips and information on the various ways to access
Newsline content. We will also be available to answer any questions that you
may have about the service and to assist you in obtaining and filling out an
application for the service.

COVID Procedures

The health and safety of our members and visitors is of deepest importance
to the National Federation of the Blind of New York State. Please see below
for a detailed outline of our health and safety procedures for this year's
convention.  While we acknowledge that in many venues Covid protocols have
been relaxed over the past few months, we know that as an organization we
have a significant incidence of members with intersecting health conditions
that may cause them to be more at risk in a crowded convention setting.
Participants in our in-person convention must agree to comply with the
below-stated health and safety procedures upon registration.  Those who
would prefer not to abide by these safety protocols are welcome to join us
for the streamed content from our convention, and for some limited
interactive hybrid participation opportunities.

We recommend that all those planning to travel to the in-person convention
secure and take a Covid test within 48 hours before leaving  home to travel
to Buffalo.  In the event of a positive test, please do not come to the
convention in person.  Instead, contact the affiliate president, Mike
Robinson, at (716-222-3632), so that your registration can be modified to a
hybrid registration.  Those with Covid  are welcome to attend our convention
virtually via the hybrid and streaming option.

All those attending the convention in person will be required to take an
on-site Covid test and to be masked at all times unless actively eating,
drinking, or presenting.  On-site Covid testing will be administered by a
nurse on Thursday, October 20 from 5:00 pm until 9:00 pm and Friday October
21stfrom 7:00 am until 10:00 am.  Please see the agenda for the on-site
testing location.  If arriving after 10:00 am Friday, please find a member
of the executive board for instructions on how to get tested.  Those testing
negative on-site will be given a wristband which must be worn at ALL
convention functions. There will be affiliate members checking for wrist
bands throughout the weekend.

Those testing positive on-site will not receive a wristband and will be
advised to return to their hotel room immediately so as to protect the
health of others.  Those finding themselves in this situation will not be
allowed to participate in convention events in person, again, for the safety
of others, but will be welcome to attend virtually from their hotel room.
Again, we urge everyone to test before leaving home, to lessen the
possibility of traveling while already infected with Covid.  The NFB of NYS
will not be responsible for any costs incurred as a result of a positive
on-site Covid test.

As noted above, all in-person participants are required to properly wear a
mask at all times unless eating, drinking, or presenting.  Masks will not be
provided, so all attendees are encouraged to bring an adequate supply for
the weekend.

Working together we can keep each other safe, and we thank all in-person
registrants and attendees in advance for their cooperation.