[New-York-News] Announcing the 68th NFBNYS Convention

President NFBNYS president at nfbny.org
Fri Aug 2 00:56:23 UTC 2024

Greetings NFBNY

Please find, below my signature, the full text of our 2024 convention
letter as well as a more formal formatted copy on letterhead attached to
this email.

With Love, Hope, and Determination
Aubrey Bird
President
National Federation of the Blind of New York State, Inc.

You Are Cordially Invited to Attend The 68th Annual Convention of the National
Federation of the Blind of New York State

*“Stronger Together”*

The National Federation of the Blind of New York State will hold its
sixty-eighth annual convention in Rochester, from Thursday September 19
through Sunday the 22nd, 2024. Please join us as we continue to build a
network of expertise and encouragement among blind New Yorkers and work
together to make a positive difference in the lives of blind people across
New York State.
Who Are We?

The NFB of NYS is an organization of blind and low vision New Yorkers who
believe that, with the appropriate training, attitude, and opportunities,
blind people can live the lives we want.  NFB of NYS brings blind people
together to empower and learn from one another and to celebrate our
achievements as we work together to improve the lives of the blind of New
York.
Our Convention Agenda

All in-person convention events will take place at the Holiday Inn –
Downtown at 70 State Street in Rochester, NY. It is our pleasure to welcome
Kevan Worley, who has previously served as first vice president of our
Colorado affiliate and president of the NFB Blind Merchants Division.  We
will be privileged to hear him share information about the ongoing work of
the Federation nationwide.

The theme of this year’s convention will be *“Stronger Together”.  *Our
presenters and panel discussions will explore the importance of personal
empowerment channeled into collective action. Our workshops and seminars
will highlight ideas and tools that will allow us to raise our own
expectations as individuals and strive collectively to raise the
expectations of the blind in society.  We hope that everyone will come away
from this year’s Convention motivated by our collective strength and
excited to tackle the work of the Federation together in each of our
communities.

>From Sunday, September 15, through Wednesday, September 18, our divisions
and committees will meet in the evenings via Zoom to discuss issues
pertinent to parents of blind children, guide dog users, blind parents,
seniors, diabetics, and more.  These meetings are interactive and open to
all convention attendees, so please join us!

This year, we are excited to pilot a new convention format, designed to
make each day of the convention as engaging and interactive as possible.  Some
agenda items will be familiar to returning attendees. However, the overall
schedule has changed.

On Friday morning, we will continue our tradition of hosting a town-hall
style meeting with Julie Hovey, Associate Commissioner of the New York
State Commission for the Blind.  We will then host a town hall meeting with
the Rochester Genesee Regional Transit Authority, pioneering a practice of
empowering all blind New Yorkers with information about individual transit
authorities in our convention’s host cities each year.  We encourage all
attendees to drop by the exhibit hall to shop at our affiliate table and
meet our convention sponsors. Everyone is also welcome to attend our board
meeting luncheon.  Afterward, we will come together for the first general
session of the convention, where we will hear reports from our affiliate
president, our national rep, and other speakers expanding upon our
convention theme.  In the evening attendees are welcome to register for the
hospitality dinner, and everyone is welcome later for our open hospitality
event.

On Saturday morning, the second general session of the convention will
provide us with the opportunity to hear presentations on topics that are
important to blind people across New York State and the nation. Attendees
can register for a plated lunch before attending any of the afternoon
break-out sessions, which will include hands-on demonstrations and
small-group discussions around topics of interest to blind New Yorkers.  Later,
in the afternoon, an open meeting of our appointed resolutions committee
will be held at which they will review, edit, and finalize the draft
resolutions.  Those resolutions approved by the committee will be voted on
by the entire convention on Sunday morning.  All convention attendees are
welcome to observe this open meeting, the business of which will be
conducted by the committee members.

The excitement will continue during our Saturday Evening banquet, with an
address by our keynote speaker, Kevan Worley of Colorado, along with door
prize giveaways.  The banquet will come to a dramatic close with the
presentation of affiliate awards.

On Sunday morning we will hold our annual business meeting to chart our
course for the coming year. We will also consider the resolutions that the
Convention deems vital for our future as we review and update our
organization’s policy goals. We will hear Chapter, Division, and Committee
reports from around the State.

We will go forth, secure in the knowledge that we are stronger together and
collectively possess the power to raise expectations and change what it
means to be blind in New York State.
Registration, Room Reservations, and Refreshments

To register for our convention, please visit nfbny.org/convention/ and
complete our online registration form.  Hotel reservations must also be
completed via the online registration form, rather than by contacting the
hotel directly, so that registrants will receive the special convention
room rate of $119.99 per night.  Tickets for breakfasts, lunches, the
hospitality dinner and banquet can also be purchased via the same online
registration form.

This year, we are pleased to offer a special discounted meal plan which
will include tickets for all 7 convention meals (3 breakfasts, 2 lunches,
the hospitality dinner and the banquet), a $145 value, for only $130!  You
can select options for these hot, plated meals during the registration
process.  If desired, individual meals can be purchased for those not
wishing to take advantage of the meal plan.

Registration will entitle you to chances for our door prizes, allow for
timely announcement of convention updates, and will help offset the costs
of the convention.  We also are offering a virtual component to our
conference this year.  You may register online at the same link and select
the virtual registration form.  You will be able to participate in
discussions and be eligible for door prizes.

*Please call the office at 585-739-6473.  with any questions regarding this
year’s convention.*

Our convention is shaping up to be a tremendous event.  Join us to share in
the excitement!  I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Aubrey Bird

President, NFB of New York State