[Nfb-announce] MIT Seeks Input about Braille Labeler

Zach chickerland at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 16:58:19 UTC 2008

See original message for responses

Andrews<dandrews at visi.com>)
>To: david.andrews at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 00:04:31 -0500
>Subject: [Nfb-announce] MIT Seeks Input about Braille Labeler

>I have been asked to circulate the following:

visually
>impaired.  We would be so grateful if you could reply to this
email
>with your own answers
>to the questions listed below at your earliest convenience.  The
>results will be assessed anonymously; your confidentiality is
>certainly our priority.

>Additionally, for those of you living in the Boston area, please
keep
>your calendar open for this Saturday morning for a one hour focus
>group during which
>e will present some basic models and give you the opportunity to
test
>them out and give us feedback.  Details of time and location will
be emailed out
>shortly.  Please let your friends know about this event; we want
>have as many blind and visually impaired people there as possible
>help us design
>the best product that we can.

>Thank you so much! Please continue reading for our survey
questions.

>1.  How much vision do you have? When did you lose your vision?
Answer: none; I actually never had vision
>2.  What is your age? (teens, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc.)
I am a teenager
>3.  Do you own a 3M label maker?
My parents (and my school) own a braille labeler, however I am
not sure the type
>4.  What have you used your 3M label maker to label?
Homework assignments, sometimes those small yoghurt containers
>5.  Approximately how many letters can you type in 10 seconds on
your 3M label maker?
I believe about 5 letters/10 seconds, which can be reduced to 1
letter /2 sec
>6.  If you label disposable items, such as canned foods, can you
>describe how you do it? Do you adhere the label to the can and
>dispose of it when you throw >away the can? Or do you have a
system for reusing your labels? Can >you describe it? If you
reuse your labels, is it to save money, to >save the time of
>making a new label, or is there another reason?
Take for example the yoghurt container described above.  If I
were to have a blueberry yoghurt, I would press B on the labeler.
I do not reuse my letters because I can make more.
>7.  When you use your 3M label maker, do you usually make
multiple >labels in one sitting, or do you use it each time you
need just one label?
I use it each time I need it
>8.  Do you ever have a need to make multiple lines of label? Is
it challenging to make two labels and line one up below the next
while >placing them?
I have only made one-line labels at this time
>9.  Is there any part of the labeling process for which you
prefer or >require help from a sighted friend? (Identifying items
to be labeled, >creating the labels, trimming the labels, peeling
the labels, sticking the labels, etc.)
Sometimes I have trouble peeling the labels, depending on the
labeler
>10.  Do you carry your 3M label maker with you? To work? To the
grocery store? If your 3M label maker were small and light
enough, >would you carry it with you to label things right away
as you purchased them?
I usually do not carry my labeler with me because I use it at
home and there is one at school as well
>11.  Would you purchase a label maker that required batteries to
operate?
It's possible, depending upon how much I would use it; right now
no
>12.  What other things do you have to do besides simply embossing
the >braille in order to prepare a label? (How often do you have
to buy >replacement tape?
>Do you have to trim the label? Peel the backing? Anything else?)
>Please elaborate on anything that is tricky or inconvenient, or
that >might sometimes cause >a mistake so that you have to remake
the label.
I usually do not have any trouble with the labeling process
except for the peeling
>13.  Do you own any technology for which you would say that the
>buttons are too small?
No, however I own and am composing this message on a BrailleNote
Mpower from Humanware
>14.  Do you own a brailler or a Braille note? Which do you have,
and >how long have you had one? Approximately how many letters
per second >can you type in >10 seconds on your brailler or
Braille note?
I have both a perkins and a braillenote, and I can type about 10
letters / 10 seconds.  Sighted people think I am pretty good,
actually
>15.  How much would you be willing to spend for a label maker
that >used dymo tape, had a 6-button interface like a brailler or
a Braillenote, and was smaller >than the 3M label maker?
If I were independent (grown up and gone, per say) maybe $25 or
$30
>Thank you so much for your time! Please forward this on to any
>friends who may be able to help, and have them reply to me,
Karina Pikhart, at