[Nfb-announce] FW: Yoga and Vision Research Study

Andrews, David B B (DEED) David.B.Andrews at state.mn.us
Thu Aug 19 15:52:37 UTC 2010

Dear NFB members,
Greetings. We are currently recruiting participants for a research
study. We are interested in developing a yoga intervention for symptoms
related to severe vision impairment, such as sleep problems, stress and
balance. You don't have to be flexible or strong or fit in order to
participate. We are interested in enrolling people with severe vision
loss due to retinitis pigmentosa or other ocular diseases. As a further
consideration, we are planning to conduct the intervention portion of
the study at the NFB in order to accommodate scheduling and
transportation needs. However, we will still require two visits to the
Wilmer Eye Institute in order to obtain baseline and post-intervention
measures. Hopefully, this will make this opportunity more available to
those of you who expressed interest in participating.  Please see our
recruitment flyer below for more details and feel free to call me with
any and all questions.

Best Regards,
Pam
c:  949-351-5848
w: 410-502-6434
pjeter1 at jhmi.edu

Hello!

I am writing to invite you to consider participating as a volunteer in a
research study: "Development of a yoga intervention for symptoms related
to severe visual impairment".  It is being conducted at the Lions Vision
Research and Rehabilitation Center, a division of the Wilmer Eye
Institute at Johns Hopkins University.

The purpose of this study is to develop and evaluate a yoga intervention
specifically for people with severe vision loss due to retinitis
pigmentosa or other ocular diseases. The yoga will combine postures,
breathing, and meditation to try to help visually impaired people who
may be experiencing problems with sleep, stress or balance. Yoga is
easily implemented and accessible regardless of level of experience. Dr.
Pamela Jeter, who has previous experience teaching yoga to people with
visual impairments, will lead the classes.

Prior to the yoga program, you will take several tests to find out if
you are eligible. These include standard vision tests, a balance test,
and questionnaires about sleep, mood and your general health.  Your eyes
will need to be dilated for one of the vision tests.  You will repeat
the same tests after the yoga intervention. During the 8-week yoga
intervention phase, you will participate in a yoga class with an
instructor once a week at our center at the Johns Hopkins Medical campus
in Baltimore. You will be asked to practice yoga twice a week on your
own at home following an audio CD.  The entire study will require your
participation for a total of about 12-weeks for approximately 3-4 hours
per week.

To qualify for participation in the study, one must have a visual acuity
of 20/200 or worse, but better than light perception, and/or a visual
field that is less than 20 degrees, in the better eye.  Your vision will
be evaluated at the first session to determine that your current level
of vision falls into the range we wish to evaluate during this study.
We will also request records from your last eye exam to be abreast of
your current diagnosis and visual status.

At the end of the study, we will offer you a modest honorarium of $25
for your participation. In addition, we will offer parking validation
for the study visits to our center. We will give you a yoga mat to use
for the intervention and to continue with your practice at home when the
study ends.

We very much appreciate your willingness to consider participation in
this research study.  Your participation in Hopkins research is of great
importance to progress in managing eye diseases and their effects.
If interested, please send an email to Dr. Pamela Jeter at
pjeter1 at jhmi.edu.  You may also contact her by phone at 410-502-6434.
She looks forward to working with you.

Principal Investigator: Ava Bittner, O.D.
Study team: Gislin Dagnelie, Ph.D. and Pam Jeter, Ph.D.
Affiliation: Lions Vision Research and Rehabilitation Center, a division
of the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins University
Application Number: NA_00039032