[Nfb-announce] Survey on Experiences with Police, Fire and EMS Workers

Julie jbrew48 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 30 08:11:15 UTC 2011

I have been asked to widely circulate the following:

David Andrews, List Owner

I have been asked to help with developing a training program and
manual for first responders in New York State being conducted through
Niagara University.  This will cover all disability groups, but my
part focuses primarily on all areas concerning people with visual
impairment and blindness and our experiences with police, fire and
EMS workers, Include any experiences that you have had with emergency
preparedness issues.    We would like to hear from New York State
residents who are blind or visually impaired no matter how
insignificant you think your story is.  Include incidences with guide
dogs, reporting criminal activities against you, your own contacts
with first responders , and how you were treated and so on.  a more
complete explanation of the program is below.

I am including a survey below that will help guide you.  Please
consider taking a few moments to think about this and send me your
completed survey.  You can send it to me privately
at
<mailto:blindfirstresponderny at verizon.net>blindfirstresponderny at verizon.net

or if you are more comfortable contacting him yourself

David V. Whalen

Statewide Project Coordinator

First-Responders Disability Awareness Training

Niagara University, NY

716-286-7355

<mailto:dwhalen at niagara.edu>dwhalen at niagara.edu

Niagara University

First Responder Disability Awareness Training

Niagara University

First Responder Disability Awareness Training

Niagara University (NU) has received the New York State Developmental
Disabilities Planning Council (DDPC) First Responder (FR) Disability
Awareness Training (DAT) grant. Over the course of the next three
years we will be developing the curriculum for law enforcement, fire
fighters, and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) in regards to proper
response to individuals with disabilities (IWDs) and all that this
entails. Included in this curriculum will be Emergency Management
(EM) and the needs that go with serving IWDs in emergency and
disaster situations.

NU has hired David Whalen, Disability Awareness Training, as the
Statewide Project Coordinator to oversee this project. David has been
training First Responders for the past five years. NU and Mr. Whalen
were awarded a grant from Verizon to train law enforcement in 2006.
David is actively involved in many areas of the disability community
and serves on a number of councils, associations, and Boards .(  The
intent of this project is to develop a standard, information filled,
accurate and appropriate training curriculum that provides all First
Responders with the knowledge necessary to best serve and respond to
IWDs. However, developing and implementing the curriculum and having
it accepted and embraced by First Responders will be a challenge. We
realize that training schedules are quite full, that budget cuts
hamper areas training opportunities, and that there are complexities
involved in running training programs; however the need for training
in the area of IWDs is critical.

As we launch this initiative, we are in the process of informing a
large number of state agencies, statewide associations, commissions,
councils, service providers, parents, and individuals across the
First Responder and disability spectrum to ensure all entities are
aware of the curriculum development that is taking place.

First Responder Disability Awareness Training

Niagara University

Content Expert Information sheet

1.     What is your experience with First Responders?

A.   Law enforcement

B.    Fire fighters

C.   Emergency management services

D.   Emergency Medical Technicians

E.    Ambulance

2.     Have you experienced or been informed of issues or matters of
concern regarding First Responders. Please elaborate. Provide
specific incidences.

3.     What did you do to correct the matter?

4.     Was it handled to your liking?

5.     Was there any on-going involvement from your organization? Did
you train the entity, did you start or join a committee, on-going 1:1
dialogue, etc.

6.     Did it have the results you desired?

7.     Is it still on-going?

8.     Have you ever trained First Responders or do you have material
relevant to training them?

9.     If so, who has received this training/curriculum?

10.  Is this still on-going within their department?

11.  How is it measured to be effective? Is there data available?

12.  Has it ever been updated?

13.  Do you a professional relationship with any First Responder
agency, association, department, or individual?

14.  If so, do you think they would be a valuable contributor to this project?

15.  Any thoughts or ideas you have that would make this project a success.

Thank you for your participation.

Julie Phillipson M. Ed.