[Nfb-arkansas] Braille Carnival Needs Volunteers

tosheeler at cox.net tosheeler at cox.net
Tue Jun 9 17:18:17 UTC 2009

Andrea,
Hi my name is Terry sheeler and I am a parent of 3 visually impaired children and the Vice President of the NFB of NWA. The Braille Carnival you are planning sounds like it will be a great event. One day our local group would like to do the same thing, maybe at that time we could get game ideas from you. One of my children is a middle schooler and we had a few ideas to send you way, They could use a slates, stylus to write out their names. This can be used for several things, you can do this on light card stock and cut into the shape of a bookmark( whatever shape they would like), Hole punch a hole at the end of your book mark and tie a cord tassel through the hole), Another  way to use this is to make a name plate, Once the name is brailled take puff paint or tactile paint and make a boarder around their brailled name, then once paint has dried(it will take time to dry) cut around the paint boarder. This can be hang up with a tack or put a magnetic strip on the back. Another idea is they could use a Braille writer to make various pictures or designs (sail boat, snow flakes, crosses etc), these also could be made to hang or add a magnetic strip too. We hope these ideas help with your middle schooler and the Braille Carnival to be a great success!

Best wishes with your event

Terry Sheeler

NFB of NWA