[NFB-Arkansas] December Meeting Minutes, (DRAFT)

Donna Walker walkercutoff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 05:46:39 UTC 2022

For Your Review-

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND-ARKANSAS
Meeting Minutes: Chapter at Large

DATE: Tuesday, December 21, 2021

MEMBERS PRESENT: Tanya VanHouten, Dick Walker, Donna Walker, Jimmy
Sparks, Donavon Cavender, Kelly Robson, Ron Owens, Tracey Owens,
Orville Toothman, Larry Wayland

VISITORS: Freddy Wilkey, Cindy Scott-Huisman, Kyle Kiper

The meeting was called to order at 7:30 p.m. by Chapter President
Tanya VanHouten. She began with a call of the role and introduction of
visitors. This was followed by the NFB Pledge and the NFB “One Minute
Message.”

MOTION: Made by Donavon and seconded by Ron to approve the October
Minutes as sent out by Donna. Motion passed.

MOTION: Made by Ron and seconded by Jimmy to approve the November
Minutes. Motion passed.

Susie did not get a Treasurer’s Report out so will approve those at
the January meeting.

OLD BUSINESS
Tanya asked if everyone received the address labels with Susie
Sexson’s address on them that she sent out? Everyone answered in the
affirmative and some have already used theirs to get their 2022 dues
sent to Susie, the Chapter Treasurer. Donna mentioned that Tanya had a
great idea and all agreed. Hopefully will get more people’s dues in on
time.

State Convention: March 31-April 2, 2022 and will be virtual. Theme is
“Spring Forward.” Tanya says they are still looking for suggestions of
topics and speakers for the Agenda. You can contact Tanya, Kyle Kiper
or Betty Johnson from the Speakers Committee if you have names or
ideas.

Nomination Form: was sent out by Nena Chadwick, our State President.
Two state board positions and all of the officers positions are up for
election this year. If you did not get a copy in your email, contact
Tanya or Nena.

Arkansas List-Serv: If you aren’t signed up, great way to keep up with
what’s going on around the affiliate. Is not one of those lists with a
lot of extraneous messages. Can sign up on the list-serv section of
www.nfb.org or if you need assistance, Tanya will be glad to help get
you signed up. (Jimmy Sparks says, Tanya please help him get signed
up.)

NEW BUSINESS
Conference Line: Tanya reports that the bill for the Conference Call
Line will need to be paid in March. Our chapter has been sharing the
cost of this line with the State Board, as we both used it in the
past. National has been covering the cost of the Zoom account for each
state for about the past two years-as a result of the Corona Virus
Pandemic. State Board is not sure if National will continue to do so
again this year. If not, The State Affiliate may not be able to pay
half of the conference line as they will have to absorb the cost of
the Zoom charges. We will need to decide if we want to continue to use
the Conference Line, and pay the entire bill if the State Board
decides not to share the cost. Will revisit in January meeting.

January Meeting Speaker: Nini Urschel will be telling us about a
fundraising opportunity with Scentsy products. In February, have a
speaker from Arkansas Disability Rights.

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Presidential Release: will be on January 4, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. our time.
Products of the Month: Jernegan map of the United States with
removable pieces, Magnetic Checkers, Playing Cards and Uno Cards.
(from the Independence Market)
Next State Board Meeting: January 11, 8:00 p.m. on Arkansas Zoom.
Great Gathering for Washington Seminar: February 7, 5:00 p.m.-Eastern
time. (With rising Covid numbers, guessing will be virtual again this
year.) February 7-10 this year.
DSB Quarterly Board Meeting on March 11, 2022, on Zoom.

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday, January 18, 7:30 p.m.
  Conference Number: 310-372-7549 Code: 744800

Submitted By: Donna Walker, Chapter Secretary

After the meeting was adjourned we continued with a planned “Virtual
Christmas/Holiday Recipe Swap.) At the November meeting, we were all
encouraged to bring recipes to share along with stories about how
these may have fitted into our family holiday celebrations AND hints
about adapted blindness techniques that we use when preparing them. We
had some Great recipes shared-all sweets! Was a good way to get
together, virtually.

(If you’all will get your recipes emailed to Donna Walker, she will
combine them and get them sent out to everyone. See you in 2022!)