[NFB-Arkansas] Fw: Alumni 2023 Convention letter

Brent Philpot bphilpot642 at att.net
Mon Apr 24 12:46:55 UTC 2023

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

On Sunday, April 23, 2023, 10:20 PM, Arkansas SchoolfortheBlind <alumni.asbvi at gmail.com> wrote:

Arkansas School for the Blind Alumni Association

alumni.asbvi at gmail.com

C/O Tammy Scharf

Dear Alumnus,

Greetings from the ASB Alumni Association Board.  Spring is here and that means the annual alumni convention is right around the corner but first, here are a few items to update you since the last letter.

The Superintendent, Mr. Caton gave the board a quick report of the school.  A few events that the alumni association sponsors on an annual basis, he stated was a great success, these included the 13th annual braille challenge and the annual cane quest.  The alumni association is one of the biggest donors for both events and Mr. Caton said to share a big thank you for the donations to help make these possible.  There are a couple big construction projects (health center & the Cottage) that are in the funding stages. To help vamp the campus security, a master electronic keypad system is being placed on all door entries.  This means that all doors will need an access card or a pin number for entry.  The Blind and Deaf schools as a combo is awaiting a 30-million-dollar funding for other security projects such as an iron fence around both campuses with electronic gates.  Then, renovations will be looked at with any remaining funds out of the 30 million.

The school has been placed under the Arkansas Department of Education.  The new Secretary for the Department has already made a couple of appearances at the school.  The last appearance was a surprise visit to the Braille challenge where he helped hand out awards.  Mr. Caton speaks highly of Jacob Oliva and believes that he will be a good asset for the education for the state of Arkansas.

Here are a few upcoming events.  There will be a “dining in the dark” fundraiser on April 27th in the ASBVI cafeteria. The rumors are that it has already been a great success because it has completely sold out, the Spring Concert is May 4th and will start at 6:30pm, the alumni board will treat the seniors to Larry’s pizza May 18th, the senior graduation is May 19th, and the last day of school is set for May 26th.

We are very excited to announce that the ASB Alumni Association and ASBVI are coming together to establish a museum on the ASBVI campus.  A committee that consists of Alumnus and ASBVI staff have already started cleaning the campus to gather items that will be used in the museum.  More details will be given at the annual convention next month but during cleanup, there were a lot of extra yearbooks that were found so these will be on sale for $20 during the convention.  The proceeds from the yearbooks will go toward the museum.  With that being said, we are all part of the history of the school so everyone’s assistance is needed to make this project a great success.  We will be collecting money and/or items during the convention weekend so please bring any memorabilia items that you would like to donate.  We will also be recording some interviews that will help fill in the gaps and tell the stories that need to be told about the school’s history.

Now, we come to May 26th through May 28th, which are the dates for the annual ASB Alumni convention weekend.  The weekend will be normal as far as the schedule but there are a couple items that need to be mentioned at this time.

First, our deepest condolences and prayers go out to the families that have suffered the loss of a loved one.  Tracy Bennett was one of our dear friends and alumni family that passed just a few months ago.  Tracy was a big part of the alumni association and volunteered his services when and wherever he could to help better the association.  Up until last year, the association did not have an official parliamentarian position on the executive board but there was always an understanding that Dick Seifert was the person to give direction/advise with any issues or questions for all association business matters, After our dear friend Dick passed, Tracy stepped up and volunteered to help fill that void.  Last year, Parliamentarian was officially added to the association constitution as part of the executive board.  At that same association business meeting, Tracy was officially voted unanimously to fill that position.  With Tracy’s passing, the association board voted to not fill the position until the association body can make that decision with a vote during the 2023 annual convention business meeting.  Also, Destin Miller resigned her board position so the association board voted Melvin Neer to fill the position and finish the term.   Parliamentarian will be the only board position that will need to be voted on during the annual business meeting so bring your nominations to the business meeting on Saturday morning of the convention.  Just a reminder that the individual in this position needs to be an assertive and be very knowledgeable of the association Constitution and the latest edition of the Robert Rules of Order.

Next, the banquet will be formal wear this year and we have taken it a step further by calling the dance your alumni prom.  Now, with a prom there is a King & Queen.  Yes, you do get to vote for the King & Queen, but it will cost you $1.00 per vote.  This should be a fun fundraiser so bring your voting money and remember all proceeds are for the students.

The convention registration will start at 3:00pm in the Multi-Purpose room.  If you would like to pre-register, you can pay by a personal check or Cash app.  The cash app. ID is “$asbvialumni”.  If you pre-register by a personal check, please send your form to 306 Goshen Ave.  N. Little Rock AR 72116.   If you electronically pay, you may send your pre-register form by USPS mail or to the association email (alumni.asbvi at gmail.com).

As you all know, with inflation, prices of food are on the rise so the cost for the weekend is just a bit higher than last year. I have attached a price list that breaks down the weekend expenses per person. The total for everything will be $97 per person.

Please, remember to bring your own towels, washcloths, bed sheets & blankets etc.

As I stated earlier, the weekend schedule is pretty much the norm, but the convention committee has implemented a few activities, so I have also attached the weekend itinerary for your viewing.

Just a quick housekeeping matter and friendly reminder:

Remember, it’s a privilege for the convention to be held on the ASBVI campus, so please have the up most respect for the rules of the campus. The school is state property and there are laws of the land that must be followed. No illegal drugs & alcohol should be brought on campus. Smokers, please use the area outside the west end gate and pick up all cigarette butts. We also need to be very mindful to pick up any & all trash on the campus. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sunday morning is the time for everyone to jump in and help clean the campus and leave it as we found it or better than what it was when we arrived for the great weekend.

Let’s work together to make this 2023 Convention year a huge success!  This does include making sure that you and your family members are well before arriving on the campus.

Last, send any new or update information to the association’s email:alumni.asbvi at gmail.com

Help spread the news and feel free to forward this letter to anyone that you know has not been reached.

God Bless you all and hope to see you next month!

Sincerely,

Tammy Scharf

ASB Alumni Corresponding Secretary