[NFB-Arkansas] FW: Library for the Blind Newsletter

lovatojahmal at gmail.com lovatojahmal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 19:31:41 UTC 2024

For informational purposes:

From: Hancock, Kristina (ASLIB) <Kristina.Hancock at ade.arkansas.gov>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2024 2:19 PM
To: 'lovatojahmal at gmail.com' <lovatojahmal at gmail.com>
Subject: Library for the Blind Newsletter

BPD NEWSLETTER
Spring 2024 Newsletter

SUMMER READING CLUB

The 2024 Summer Reading Club theme is "Adventure Begins at Your Library."
The Summer Reading Club will begin Monday, June 24, and end Friday, August
9, and is open to all ages. The National Library Service will offer Zoom
storytimes, author talks and more. We will share programming as it is
promoted via our Library for the Blind Facebook page. You can also follow
the National Library Service's Facebook page for programming dates and
times. Our young patrons can read books to win prizes!

BOOKSHARE

The Arkansas Library for the Blind has acquired Bookshare for our patrons
needing textbooks and nonfiction titles unavailable via the National Library
Service. Bookshare has 1,267,783 titles and is the most extensive collection
of accessible ebooks in the world. It includes books for school, career, and
reading pleasure, as well as titles in over 34 languages. A reminder to all
students currently enrolled from elementary school through college,
Bookshare is available to you for free. Currently, we only have 50
subscriptions available, but that number will increase in the next fiscal
year. Please call us at 501-682-1155 to acquire your subscription code. We
can also download books for patrons who are interested in this service.

LIBRARY PHONE CHANGE

The Library has changed its main phone line configuration. Patrons now have
the option to press a number to reach their reader advisor directly, as well
as receive digital machine assistance. If patrons do not have the ability to
press numbers, the phone will redirect to our main line.

CURRENCY READERS

If you need assistance with identifying paper currency, currency readers are
available at our library. They do require a separate application, but the
application can be filled out by library staff if you are currently a
patron. The device is compact and runs on a triple-A battery, which is
included. To use the currency reader, simply insert a U.S. bill into the
reader and press the button. The device will tell the note's denomination.
Contact us if you would like to receive a currency reader of your own.

ONLINE PATRON ACCOUNT ACCESS

You can access your patron record, request books and more via our online
patron access portal, or OPAC. You will need an email address and your
patron ID number. You can call to inquire about your patron ID number. When
you do so, ask your reader advisor to reset your password. You will receive
a temporary password at your email address.

Log in at  <https://readsopac.loc.gov/WebReadsOPAC/>
readsopac.loc.gov/WebReadsOPAC/ and reset your password.

You will then be able to look at your account and request books without
calling the library. You can also find the link on the Arkansas State
Library's website:

 <https://www.library.arkansas.gov/services/lbpd/>
https://www.library.arkansas.gov/services/lbpd/

POPULAR ON BARD

DB 118441   Random in Death  by J.D. Robb

DB 118341   A Wrongful Death  by Kate Wilhelm

DB 118206   Blessing of Lost Girls  by Judith A. Jance

DB 117782   Manner of Death: A Novel  by Robin Cook

DB 118439   Holmes, Marple & Poe by James Patterson

DB 118917   Crosshairs by James Patterson

DB 117630   Deep Harbor by Fern Michaels

DB 116311   Or Else: A Thriller by Joe Hart

DB 92425     All Systems Red: Murderbot Diaries

DB 118635    The Final Witness by Paul Landis

DB 118273    Desolation Creek by William Johnstone

AIRS RADIO: LOCAL PROGRAMMING FOR BLIND ARKANSANS

Arkansas Information Reading Services for the Blind (AIRS) provides free
audio access to current print media for people who cannot read because of a
disability. There are local programs like Arkansas Family and Education in
Arkansas; informative programs like up-to-date job listings, grocery ads,
and how-to instructional tutorials; entertainment programs like books and
movies; and children's programs. AIRS Radio can be found at airs.aetn.org
and AETN Channel 2-4 audio.

For AIRS Plus, call (844) 888-0981, and don't forget to like and save their
Facebook page at www.facebook.com/AIRSradio/
<http://www.facebook.com/AIRSradio/>  for updated programs and information.
AIRS broadcasts statewide from the

R. Lee Reaves Center for Educational Telecommunication in Conway, Arkansas,
serving the blind and visually impaired of Arkansas since 1981. Their
broadcasts are intended exclusively for listeners with visual impairment and
print disabilities.

Newsline is also offered through the Library for the Blind. Newsline
subscribers have access to regional, national, and international news
sources and magazines, as well as job and tv listings. Call us to subscribe.

HOURS

The Arkansas Library for the Blind and Print Disabled

Open: Monday-Friday 8:00a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

         Closed for State Holidays.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Manager: Kristina Hancock

Reader's Advisor for last names beginning with A-L & MC:

Jeff Kersey

Reader's Advisor for last names beginning with M-Z:

Kelly Smith

Outreach and Digital Machines:

Natalie Marlin

Children's Programmer:

Thomas Sepe

Toll Free: 1-866-660-0885

Email Address: nlsbooks at ade.arkansas.gov <mailto:nlsbooks at ade.arkansas.gov>

Website Address: library.arkansas.gov

Facebook: facebook.com/arkansaslibraryfortheblind