[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Device that's between perkins brailler and expensive-embosser

Josh Kennedy joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 14:23:01 UTC 2019

Hi,
I definitely plan on getting a braille me in two months because refreshable braille is useful and I use it for 95% of my braille needs these days. But I still like paper braille for some things. Although I hardly ever write paper braille with my brailler or slate and stylus anymore. Sometimes i want to emboss short documents from the computer  and in that case I could read off the computer or refreshable display and braille what I want with the slate or perkins brailer... but not often enough to justify the high cost of even the cheapest $1500 braille embosser. So I think I came up with a compromise since anymore I only use paper braille for notes and some study materials. I'm thinking of getting something in-between my manual perkins brailler and the expensive braille embossers. So I settled on the electric perkins brailler when I have the money saved up. First I never had an electric perkins brailler before and they really intrigue me because I could write significantly faster with one. And they pretty much have the same parts as the classic perkins brailler. I'll also get consistent dot quality like I would with a very expensive computer embosser. But the repair costs will be a lot more affordable for me. And since the electric perkins brailler is made the same as my classic brailler, then this brailler, too, should last me 10-plus years of reliable use. Oh, I also discovered several years ago that if I put paper into a brailler, either manual or electric perkins, and if you draw lines down the page and double-space the lines. And then you turn the paper sideways and put it back in the brailler and do the same thing, draw lines double-spaced, you can use a manual or electric brailler to make simple line drawings including your own graph paper with grid-lines on it. So you could make a chart with lines just with a regular brailler. So do you guys think an electric perkins brailler is a good compromise between the really expensive embossers and the manual perkins classic brailler? I never had an electric perkins brailler before and I think it will be a fun braille device for me to use. And it'll be electric-driven but without the very high cost of an embosser. Unless of course some low-cost embosser is coming out in 2020 that I am not aware of. If not I think I want an electric perkins brailler because I never had one before. I had braille displays and an embosser in the past. And my favorite devices as far as user-friendliness were the refreshable displays and perkins brailler.

Sent from my iPod

Sent from my iPod