[NFB-Braille-Discussion] History of perkins brailler

Jasmyn Po jazzyep94 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 7 21:50:56 UTC 2019

Which Braille writing device is your favorite? The slate and stylus, the Braille writer, or the Braille display? I like the slate and stylus because I could practice my Braille anywhere without having to worry about carrying a heavy Braille writer. I do have a braille writer but I haven't been able to use it a lot because go to school  and the only way I have to practice my Braille it is with the slate and stylus.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 2:28 PM, Josh Kennedy via NFB-Braille-Discussion<nfb-braille-discussion at nfbnet.org> wrote:   Hi,
I read the articles about the history of the perkins brailler. But none of the articles mention the electric brailler. They only mention the classic perkins and the next generation 2011 or so braillers. So what happened to the electric perkins brailler? When was it invented? If my memory is correct, from the brief time I used an electric brailler back in 2011, it requires much less force, than even the new next generation braillers. It's like writing with a braille display keyboard. But when was the electric brailler invented? I vaguely remember seeing one back in 1986 or so, when I was 4 or 5 years old at my school district's intermediate unit, IU, the place where I first learned braille. But my teacher of the visually impaired never let me use the electric brailler even though it was there and I saw the power cord and on/off switch and I wished I could use it, but could not. I liked using the electric brailler back in mid 2011 to take a math test at Lions world. It was different than my manual brailler and I could braille a lot faster with it. And it kind of sounded like a slower version of a braille embosser/printer. Oh and I really liked that all the dots came out consistently because a motor was probably used to punch the dots. I miss using that brailler. I wish I knew more about its history. My 12-year-old son who is sighted knows the basics of braille and how to use a brailler, even though he only spent two hours with the manual brailler. He can write some grade 1 braille that I taught to him. I wonder if he would like playing with an electric brailler if I bought one? But before I get one, I'll get a braille me display by innovision in February because I hear they have greatly improved since I had a prototype back in early to mid 2018. And since I read in church on sundays sometimes, if I ever needed a paper braille copy of the readings, from all the research I have done, an electric brailler would let me braille them out faster--even though I would need to read off the computer and transcribe them myself. It would only be 4 or 5 pages at most, of braille.

Josh

Sent from my iPod