[NFB-Braille-Discussion] encoding problem using SendToBraille with foreign table

Dean Martineau topdot at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 18:17:05 UTC 2019

This is an obscure question, so I will ask many places in the hopes that
somebody will have a clue of a solution. There has to be a solution, but I
don't know where.

I use the APH SendToBraille app to generate contracted braille documents.
This works for me whether I set the table to US grade 2 or UEB. I am able to
take documents in a variety of file formats and convert them to contracted
braille. I appreciate APH setting this up, because I know of no other wauy
we mere mortals can use the LibLouis system.

I sometimes want to read in Spanish or French, and I like to use their
contracted systems. I can do this with Duxbury, but would love to ditch DBT
altogether and use SendToBraille. But there are two problems. First, when I
send a pdf or ePUB document to SendToBraille, after switching the table
appropriately by editing settable.bat, I receive nothing but 0-character
files in return. Second, and more significant, if I first convert said UEB
or PDF document to text using my typical methods, and send the resulting
text document to SendToBraille, the encoding is wrong. The resulting .brl
file is gibberish, parts intelligible, much not.

Does anybody have the technical knowledge to suggest where I might look to
solve this problem?

Dean