[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Braille Use Discrimination

Jen spiderweb1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 6 14:51:06 UTC 2020

Hi list,

I wanted to ask about something I'm sure is tough to discuss but I think
needs to be talked about.

Have any of you faced what I call "braille use discrimination?" I have.

Ten years ago in college, I was using my BrailleNote in psychology class.
The instructor, the head of the department, turned to me and said the sound
of the BrailleNote bothered him - in front of the whole class. I felt
ashamed to use my BrailleNote for a while. The instructor's excuse was he
had a bad day.

After a meeting, the instructor was mysteriously super-friendly for the rest
of that year.

I regret I didn't know how to respond, so I didn't say anything. In retro, I
would have stopped the instructor and said, "What did you just say to me?"

Jen

spiderweb2 at sbcglobal.net