[NFB-Braille-Discussion] library braille EReader.

ken lawrence kenlawrence124 at aol.com
Thu Jan 14 13:38:54 UTC 2021

Hi braille listers ken here.  NJ is one of the five states participating in the pilot pilot project testing the new HumanWare braille EReaders.  I have one and really like it a lot.  Still have to do more work with it yet because am also learning the iPhone at the same time.  Basicly want to master getting the reader to do what I want it to do and not what it feels like doing Huh?  Am wondering who else on this list is testing the reader and also have a question about something that is in my mind a possibility for the future.  In the early 1970s when I was a fairly active talking book reader, some of the shorter books on seven inch records that maybe only took up one side or maybe two also included a print copy of the book.  These were primarily for younger readers K too three or preschoolers to grade 2.  In later years when the flexable disc started to be used, I can remember reading children’s books listed that also contained a braille/print or twin vision book.  With the braille Ereader now, the smaller size of the unit makes braille much easier to carry around.  There are only 20 cells in the HumanWare reader which is pretty small but it does have auto scrolling.  I think the great turning point has been reached in braille availability.  My question is this.  With the three buttons that don’t currently have functions on the reader, does anyone on list know if it is now possible to have a braille and an audio book on a cartraidge at the same time and will a reader be able to now follow along with a talking book in braille on the reader at the same time.  Being able to actually physically read what he is hearing at the same time?  Something like the recently issued alex trebek or barac Obama books also available in braille at the same time they come out to talking books?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10