[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Literacy for Adult Learners

kg 6sxy (kg6sxy) kg6sxy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 01:11:09 UTC 2021

My feeling is nothing is impossible.  Never say never.  I believe it is a matter of how much time you have to dedicate to learning and reading.  I always choose to ignore anyone that says something is never going to happen because it is usually based on their limited exposure to others that they are basing that opinion on.  What if it is just a matter of adults that have a high reading speed are spending more time reading than talking to others about how to increase their reading speed?

A much better approach is to compete with yourself until you reach a speed that is comfortable to you.  Does it really matter if your neighbor reads faster or slower than you?  I have sighted friends that burn through novels in a single day and before I lost my eyesight, it could take me a month to get through a similar book.  That never bothered me because I still enjoyed the story and they were great escapes from the stress of day to day life.

How was the 240+ words per minute value arrived at?

Take care,
Tony