[NFB-Braille-Discussion] Literacy for Adult Learners

kg 6sxy (kg6sxy) kg6sxy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 03:30:14 UTC 2021

Hello Ellen,

Not moving your lips is indeed a hard habit to break.  I'm working on my braille reading and writing speed every day.  I remember when I was first learning morse code, the principles are the same.  Over time, you stop concentrating on the individual pieces that make up a word and start recognizing them as a whole word or phrase but that takes practice in not getting hung up on all the little bits and pieces.  When I was learning morse code, I had a friend that lived a few hours away that I used to have daily conversations early in the morning so we could both work on our speed, we played leap frog, encouraging each other to up the speed a little bit every couple of weeks and it worked wonders.  It also reminds me of those articles about how the brain can unscramble words very quickly if the first and last letters are correct and the rest are scrambled.  The brain is amazing at adapting over time.

I'm finding it fun to re-read some books I read a long, long time ago as a sighted individual.  It reduces one thing you're trying to concentrate on if you already know the story.

Happy reading to everyone!

Take care,
Tony